cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Undo checkout

akok
11-Garnet

Undo checkout

Hi,

I have an user witch is on holly day, and have forgotten to check a part in.

Can I as an administrator to undo this checkout?

I run WIndchill 10.2

--

Allan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
akok
11-Garnet
(To:akok)

You can is orgadmin, in the info page, undo check out for all users. But he will loose his work!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

It depends on if they have saved the file and if you have upload on save enabled.

If the file is new and uploaded, then you can log in as the user and do the undo checkout or check the file in. (Assuming you are on WindchillDS.)

If they have only saved the file, then you would need access to their local cache which you only get by logging in as them on their workstation.

This would be a good reason to enable the automatic upload when saving config.pro option.

Admin can undo the check out of any user, however I have not had any such luck retrieving the uploaded object. I can see objects that have only been uploaded, but I am not able to retrieve/download them from the database. Which makes sense to me, the object was not checked in for global access, the upload was more of a local user back up than anything else.

Thus, until I learn something different, "upload" has yet to prove its worthiness. We practice "check in often" like most preach "save often".

Luckily we have had only a few situations like this so I did what Ben said and logged into their local machine and checked in the modified object myself.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:emetzger)

The upload also allows you to go to any machine and retrieve your in-progress work.

If your workstation crashes or the cache becomes corrupt, with only a save, the work will be lost. If you do an upload with the save, you can recover your work since it has been saved (uploaded) to the server.

As I said, upload is more of a local user backup than anything else. And not many users are consistently changing workstations, but it would apply to that, you are correct.

The OP's problem though, is not solved with upload. No one but the specific user, logged in as themselves, has access to the uploaded object. Even Admins cannot gain access to the actual object. I would love to be corrected on this and find a way to gain access to an uploaded object for these rare but critical situations.

Gagan
7-Bedrock

Hello Allan

If you are the admin you have rights to do admin undo checkout .to do undo-checkout , no need to reset the user login credentials , but if you do undo-checkout user will loose his modified work .In the config.pro file if the value for the option "dm_upload_objects" is automatic . you can login with his credentials and check in from the windows browser . If "dm_upload_objects" is explicit (refer the attached screenshot),you need to login to his system/access their local cache and then check in.

ptc comunity.JPG

If this part is stopping their work like if they are not able to release the BOM ,you can take approval from product manager to reset his password and do the check in action ,so that this saves the modified work ,or else if you are the admin you can just do undo-checkout.

akok
11-Garnet
(To:Gagan)

Hi Gagan,

We have set Windchill to upload automatic. And we use LDAP to handle credentials, so I will like to not chance his credentials.

I have the admin login, therefore I will like to do it as admin. And yes I know he will loose his work.

akok
11-Garnet

You can is orgadmin, in the info page, undo check out for all users. But he will loose his work!

Top Tags