cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Updating conflicting parts in PDMLink

jdunham
1-Newbie

Updating conflicting parts in PDMLink

I have people working outside of the database - yes I know, bad idea - and they use copies of files and assemblies in our database - yest I know, bad idea. Anyway, when we import the assemblies we get conflicts in PDMLink. It seems like when we were back in I-Link 3.X, we could update the imported files in the Workspace and over right them with the "Masters" from commonspace. When I try to do this in PDMLink, it solves the naming conflicts but then says "mods are not eligible for Upload" and leaves it marked at "Modified." I don't want any changes, I just want the stuff in PDMLink to overwrite what is in the workspace if the names match. How can this be done?

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jdunham)

Put the component files that are in your PDMLink system in the workspace first, then load the assembly from the external location.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:jdunham)

On 06/14/12 09:22, John Dunham wrote:
>
> I have people working outside of the database - yes I know, bad idea - and they use copies of
> files and assemblies in our database - yest I know, bad idea. Anyway, when we import the
> assemblies we get conflicts in PDMLink. It seems like when we were back in I-Link 3.X, we could
> update the imported files in the Workspace and over right them with the "Masters" from
> commonspace. When I try to do this in PDMLink, it solves the naming conflicts but then says "mods
> are not eligible for Upload" and leaves it marked at "Modified." I don't want any changes, I just
> want the stuff in PDMLink to overwrite what is in the workspace if the names match. How can this
> be done?
>

You don't say what version of PDMLink and Pro/Engineer you are on. However with PDMLink 9.1 and
Wildfire 5.0 the import process would be this:

1. from the Workspace select Tools | Import to Workspace
2. select the + or "Add" icon
3. navigate to the location, select the file(s), and select Open
4. choose the desired option for "Add Dependencies"
5. select Next (do not select Finish) to go "Specify Options"
6. You have three options now for the objects
1. Import as new
2. Import as modified
3. Object with same name in Workspace or Commonspace will be used
7. Select and define the list of objects as needed
8. Select Finish

If you have already got modified objects in the workspace that should not be modified then do this:

1. From the workspace select the object(s)
2. select the + icon "Add objects to workspace"
3. uncheck "Reuse content in target workspace"
4. set dependents to "None"
5. select the "Advanced" tab
6. select the object(s)
7. select the "Download" icon or Edit | Download Content
1. notice how the objects status changes when you do this
8. select OK

See also the section titled "Importing Objects to the Workspace" in the "Using Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire
with Windchill" guide.

See also this very good article "Managing Design Variations in Windchill PDMLink 9.1"

Thanks guys for all your help. As always, Randy's D'man!!

Here is Randy's suggested that worked well. It is important to choose "Object with same name in WS or CS will be used" in the second step of the import if you want the CS models to be used in place of the imported models. I also noticed when Updating other models (like ghost objects) their are 3 options, download, link and reuse. If you want to just accept the models in CS, make sure you set everything to download. Mine defaults to reuse.

With PDMLink 9.1 and
Wildfire 5.0 the import process would be this:

1. from the Workspace select Tools | Import to Workspace
2. select the + or "Add" icon
3. navigate to the location, select the file(s), and select Open
4. choose the desired option for "Add Dependencies"
5. select Next (do not select Finish) to go "Specify Options"
6. You have three options now for the objects
1. Import as new
2. Import as modified
3. Object with same name in Workspace or Commonspace will be used
7. Select and define the list of objects as needed
8. Select Finish

If you have already got modified objects in the workspace that should not be modified then do this:

1. From the workspace select the object(s)
2. select the + icon "Add objects to workspace"
3. uncheck "Reuse content in target workspace"
4. set dependents to "None"
5. select the "Advanced" tab
6. select the object(s)
7. select the "Download" icon or Edit | Download Content
1. notice how the objects status changes when you do this
8. select OK

See also the section titled "Importing Objects to the Workspace" in the "Using Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire
with Windchill" guide.

See also this very good article "Managing Design Variations in Windchill PDMLink 9.1"
http://www.imakenews.com/ptcexpress/e_article001674680.cfm?x=bgC1HdG,b67r881t,w

Top Tags