cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

When saving with a different name,the new file name,new name, and number are all changed to the same

HP_10326992
1-Newbie

When saving with a different name,the new file name,new name, and number are all changed to the same

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.0 and Datecode with CPS 12.0.2.7

hello.
When changing a new file name when saving as
For example, if I change it to abc.prt, is there a way to change it to abc.prt with the same new name and number?
I am attaching a photo. thank you

Translated by Iuliana Lazar with Google Translate on 29. Nov. 2022

1 REPLY 1

The short answer is yes. CAD Objects have 3 identifiable attributes, 2 which have to be unique in the system. Those are Number, Name and Filename. Number and Filename must be unique.  In my system, to avoid complexity, I make Number and Filename the same (including extension) so as to really have 1 unique identifier.  Name can be anything you like, which is typically descriptive, or matches drawing title. Example:

Number: abc.prt

Filename:abc.prt

Name: Left Bracket Mounting Plate, A286

or you could have the following:

Number: ABC

Filename: bracket.prt

Name: Left Bracket Mounting Plate, A286

in which case you cannot have another CAD object numbered ABC or with a filename of bracket.prt.

The action to change this is Rename which can be done in Windchill and needs special access rights from your admin. Typically this is a right click action. Now, if the item has been released already, since these are master attributes, you will need rights to modify released data which means only admins typically have rights once released.

Caution: Rename in Windchill operates very different from Rename in Creo. Rename in Creo essentially creates a new CAD object for Windchill which is why there exists config.pro options to specifically block this. Rename in Windchill allows changing of the Number, Name, Filename or both. The magic is that it can propagate to depended CAD models like assemblies even if opened.

Top Tags