cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 11.0 or Windchill 11.1?

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite

Windchill 11.0 or Windchill 11.1?

What is the compelling reason or reasons for using Windchill 11.1 over Windchill 11.0?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:Invisigoth)

There really isn't an answer to this question, I am just soliciting experiences.

Another question that was just posed to me about 11.1 is:

The matrices say that "Windows Server 2016" is supported as a platform ; does that mean all editions of Windows Server 2016,  Standard,  Datacenter and Essentials?

Nothing in the PTC DB that I can see to clarify.......

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Are you currently using Windchill or just starting?

There are some enhancements that have been implemented in 11.1 but I have not studied them as we went to 11.0 just days before 11.1 was officially released. I do know that 11.1 does require proper licensing and license configuration.

There are documents on the PTC website that will explain the differences.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:BenLoosli)

Yes, the licensing is way different, that I know about.  Not sure how customers will react to the fact that they cannot use licenses from another server, as I understand that lmadmin_ptc is out of the picture with that release.

Support for Windchill 11.0 ends at the end of 2019.

Below statement is taken from CPS product calendar:

"11.0 M030: CPS releases will be provided through December 2019 (December 2020 for customers on extended support)"

Marco
Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite

There really isn't an answer to this question, I am just soliciting experiences.

Another question that was just posed to me about 11.1 is:

The matrices say that "Windows Server 2016" is supported as a platform ; does that mean all editions of Windows Server 2016,  Standard,  Datacenter and Essentials?

Nothing in the PTC DB that I can see to clarify.......

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite

PTC has confirmed that any version of Windows Server 2016 will work.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Where is this confirmation?  Some document on PTC's site?  In an email to you only?

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:STEVEG)

I opened a case and that is the response I received by email.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Ok, thank you.  It would be nice if PTC understood this should be in their documentation.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:STEVEG)

I agree. If the PTC Knowledge Management process is working as it should, either a new document would be created, an existing document would be edited, or the decision would be made to do nothing. The case was closed, and the tech linked to this doc.  Well, I saw that doc and it didn't have the level of detail I needed.  I just went back to that doc and provided feedback that this info should be either in this doc, or the appropriate matrices.  Sometimes the process needs a little push!

Top Tags