cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Windchill "building" Parts issues

TomM
12-Amethyst

Windchill "building" Parts issues

Hi,

I've got a system which went through a couple of upgrades over the years (and new one comming soon) and I think we're experiencing issues during upgrades (or it happened in the past, idk, troubleshooting).

Windchill 11.1 M020, Creo 7

Context: I need a decent visual representation of structures in order to be able to implement and use MPMLink.

Some items have either no geometry at all or wrong/additional geometry which is not interactive (by interactive I mean items should be selectable via automatic selection tool in visualization tab or being able to choose a Part in structure and "zoom selected").

Issue 1:

In "compare to CAD structure" tool the middle column shows a clock icon with a tooltip "Not Built. (...)".

Issue 2:

In "compare to CAD structure" tool the middle column shows an exclamation mark with a tooltip "Never Built. (...)"

Issue 3:

There's no error in "Compare to CAD Structure" tool, thumbnails for affected parts exist, however those items are not interactive as well...well the geometry doesn't show up in Structure at all. I'm not sure now if it shows up in .asm visualization in Windchill...I'll try to find a case.

I know how to fix this...item by item, new iteration or in the case of issue No. 1 (NOT when a family table member is affected) just build via the details tab by sending the "not built" part to WVS. "Building one level CAD Strucutre" in Compare to CAD Structure tool works for issue  No. 1 as well (NOT for FT members).

So I have three questions:

A. What could have happened that caused such behaviour? I'd link it to some lost data during upgrades, but honestly I can't link it with any specific event. It seemingly affects random items. Mostly old ones, from early 2000s' (but not all), however plenty of items at least iterated after the last upgrade are affected as well. Sometimes Owners, sometimes Images, many times both. Some Parts had been created and associated much later than their respective CAD Documents have, but some were created at the same time or iterated after association. It's chaotic. 

I know that after Owner association in Windchill the Part needs to be built, but that solves just part of the mystery for some items.

B. Is there any other way to fix those parts by some sort of query? On mass scale. I've only came up with single item at a time fixes.

C. Can Family Table members only be built in CAD application? All other ways of building Parts I know of fail with an error. Perhaps there's some other miraculous way? 

Maybe someone experienced something similar in the past...

Thank you,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
joe_morton
17-Peridot
(To:TomM)

I don't know an easy way to fix, but here's a way to help find them. I use this query to find parts not built:

joe_morton_0-1678735262205.png

joe_morton_1-1678735282511.png

You will need to test this out and probably customize for your system. The sub select is to limit the search to latest revisions only. I'm also omitting obsoleted parts in our system. The key constraint is that EPMBuildHistory.Status = 1. 

The most common reasons I've seen for something not being built:

1 - there is a failed placement in the CAD assembly. Windchill will not build the WTPart structure in this case. Some other CAD errors cause it not to build as well. 

2 - If the WTPart structure is edited after the CAD structure is checked in, Windchill will show the WTPart structure as not built. 

MS_10437608
5-Regular Member
(To:joe_morton)

How do I need to access this setting?

I shared screenshots from they Query Builder tool.

You can learn more here: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/wnc-reporting-landing?source=search

Or just search the Support site for "Query Builder". There's lots of references across the Support page as well as the PTC Community.

Top Tags