cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

special characters in Windchill PDMLink "Name" field

egifford
4-Participant

special characters in Windchill PDMLink "Name" field

Pre-Windchill, the descriptive name for our parts and assemblies was carried by a Pro/E parameter in the CAD file and Intralink used / displayed that model parameter. For several models, that parameter contained special symbols such as the diameter symbol or degree symbol as part of the Pro/E parameter descriptive name - all worked well.

We now use the Name field in PDMLink to carry the descriptive name of the part (Housing, Winding...) and on migration, this field was populated with whatever was in the descriptive name parameter of the model. However, we've now found the special characters were all converted to "?N?" and anything I can find on PTC's help site indicates PDMLink can't handle these special characters (see Document CS2549, CS6514 and SPR 2053730 ). Has anyone else run into this? How did you end up handling it? Right now wer're left at doing a rename on these in Windchill to change "?N?" to something like "DIA".

I've opened a call with PTC about this and the tech is currently investigating it.

Erik

3 REPLIES 3
LoriSood
22-Sapphire III
(To:egifford)

I suspect that you will need to do the rename you are already doing. It may be possible to get a healing script to mass change the Name attribute, but that would most likely have to come from PTC R&D. I did a quick search and didn't find a generic script to do this.

For us when we have a description with the (") inch symbol, upon check in, windchill converts it to (&quote;)

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:bhicks)

Hi @bhicks 

It is not so bad

" is quot 

HelesicPetr_0-1707305896491.png

PetrH

Announcements

Top Tags