cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

what is the difference between manual rehost and run rehost through utility

VR_10538993
4-Participant

what is the difference between manual rehost and run rehost through utility

what is the difference between manual rehost and run rehost through utility ?  if it is can someone provide general steps for manual rehost ? 

FYI :- i viewed rehost guide but i could not understand clearly 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @VR_10538993 

difference is that

manual rehost you need to go throw all steps manually. You change all needed properties in all locations one by one. 

The Rehost utility does almost all steps in one run. You just need to set up one configuration file. 

Steps to rehost Windchill RENAME SCENERIO

1. Cloning LDAP Contents from Source LDAP to Target LDAP

2. Updating Host Names in Apache

3. Updating the Database on the Target System

4. Configuring Database Connection

5. Restart the Rehosted Windchill System

6. Updating Vaulting Configuration

7. Verify Site URL in Site Administration

PetrH

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @VR_10538993 

difference is that

manual rehost you need to go throw all steps manually. You change all needed properties in all locations one by one. 

The Rehost utility does almost all steps in one run. You just need to set up one configuration file. 

Steps to rehost Windchill RENAME SCENERIO

1. Cloning LDAP Contents from Source LDAP to Target LDAP

2. Updating Host Names in Apache

3. Updating the Database on the Target System

4. Configuring Database Connection

5. Restart the Rehosted Windchill System

6. Updating Vaulting Configuration

7. Verify Site URL in Site Administration

PetrH

HI @HelesicPetr 

Thanks for the steps 

so we will copy all the windchill, HTTPServer, Java these folders also from source and we can paste it in target system right ?

Hi @VR_10538993 

Yes, you can just copy all data, files, folders from one system yo another.

The copy action should be done if Windchill, apache, DS, and database do not run. 

PetrH

@VR_10538993 

I forgot one thing, 

Database needs to be moved by backing up and recovering to existing installed instance.

PetrH

@HelesicPetr 

Thanks Petr

So if you are using WC 12.0.2 and newer (where Windchill DS is gone) there is no more option to manually rehost as easy as it was in the past.

The rehost script has to be used because it makes changes to config files and the database.

Typically, you would have copied over the vaults / imported the db from the source in the target machine and just started Windchill (target was either duplicated from prod, or reconfigured prior to DB import).  We found this out the hard way during a DR test and had to use the script the hard time

VR_10538993
4-Participant
(To:jbailey)

Thanks @jbailey 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Hi @jbailey 

In my opinion you can still use manual steps, but you really needs what to change in config also in db.

It is still possible. 

PetrH.

Yeah, I agree it could still be done... but I would highly discourage someone from manually editing the DB.. Especially someone who is looking for guidance on how to do a rehost in the first place 🙂

Top Tags