cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

System Colors in Creo

dbower1
1-Newbie

System Colors in Creo

Having an issue getting customized system colors to load when I restart Pro/e

I go to ->File->Options->System Colors->Export

And I save it my Creo starting directory (same place as my custom config.pro). The custom color file never loads, I have to manually load it every time. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Dave

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19

Dave,

There is a config setting for that, so got to tools/option to open your
config and go to system_colors_file and navigate (browse) to the directory
where you have exported your system color settings you want.

Mark A. Peterson

Sr Design Engineer

Igloo Products Corp

-

Ok, that was the issue. Just needed to add the config.pro option to point to the file. Thanks for all the response.

Dave

Hi David,
Good that you have this sorted. I have put some lines from my personal
config that deal with this and a couple of other related viewing things in
case it helps anyone. Note that I have included the remarked out lines to
explain things but when viewing this in email wordwrap will make some
single lines show on more than one line and if that was the case in ProE
you would need more ! to remark those "extra" lines out. We give each user
their own personal config.pro and let them choose to use or not use these
options.

!File Locations - adjust appropriately to your 'start in' directory. If
you set these you need to have the looked for file in that location.

!Comment Use mdl_tree_cfg_file to set your model tree how you want it
EXCEPT you cannot control the width of the first column
mdl_tree_cfg_file C:\proe\Configs_WF5\tree.cfg

!Comment Use pro_color_map to point to color.map or newer appearance.dmt
file to control available colours (later file takes precedence)
pro_colormap_path C:\proe\Configs_WF5

!Comment Use syscol.scl if you want to use Pre-Wildfire Pro-E colour scheme
system_colors_file C:\proe\Configs_WF5\syscol.scl

Regards,

*Brent Drysdale*
*Senior Design Engineer*
Tait Communications
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:dbower1)

I'm just getting Creo (2 M050) installed for the first time, still using WF4. The default colors are horrible!!!! Parts look bad but drawings are completely illegible. I tried the "dark" background but it's not a lot better. Anybody have a working syscol.scl file that they like?

In Reply to David Bower:

And I save it my Creo starting directory (same place as my custom config.pro). The custom color file never loads, I have to manually load it every time. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Dave

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

David - Here is the "system colors" section of our .sup file that we use. We have some "old" school users as well as some "youngins", it seems to be a nice blend of new and old.

Michael Ohlrich, Design Engineer
Benchmade Knife Company
mohlrich@benchmade.com<">mailto:mohlrich@benchmade.com>
(503) 655-6004 x122

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE4729.C4EA6550]
www.benchmade.com<">http://www.benchmade.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, (or authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by reply e-mail or telephone (503) 655-6004).

You can try this one, if you like a black background.

Regards,
Bill
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 05/02/13 13:34, David Gallup wrote:
>
> I'm just getting Creo (2 M050) installed for the first time, still using WF4.  The default colors are horrible!!!!  Parts look bad but drawings are completely illegible.  I tried the "dark" background but it's not a lot better.  Anybody have a working syscol.scl file that they like?
>
> In Reply to David Bower:
>
>     Having an issue getting customized system colors to load when I restart Pro/e
>
>     I go to ->File->Options->System Colors->Export
>
>     And I save it my Creo starting directory (same place as my custom config.pro).  The custom color file never loads, I have to manually load it every time.  What am I missing?
>

system_colors_file config.pro option needs to be set ie:
system_colors_file $HOME/syscol.scl

>     Thanks for any help
>
>     Dave
>
>
>
>
> PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.
>
>
> ----------

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
   Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want Creo 2.0 to look like WF4 using the Pre-Wildfire colors give this one a try - I agree totally about the default colors

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Strategic Development
Engineering Systems Administrator
25300 Al Moen Drive
North Olmsted, OH 44070
dgallup
4-Participant

Thanks for all the files guys. I tried them all. I got one from Bruce Trotter that I liked the best. He sent it direct to me so I've attached it.

In Reply to David Gallup:

I'm just getting Creo (2 M050) installed for the first time, still using WF4. The default colors are horrible!!!! Parts look bad but drawings are completely illegible. I tried the "dark" background but it's not a lot better. Anybody have a working syscol.scl file that they like?

In Reply to David Bower:

Thanks for any help

Dave

My users like the new colors and I personally do as well.

I completely understand how people have different preferences. The one thing I don't like about changing the colors away from the default off-white is that the model tree no longer blends into the graphics screen. With the default colors, you get a sense that the model tree is floating over the graphics screen but not when you change it.

It would be nice if PTC allowed the background section of the model tree to blend into the color you picked for the graphics area.

Maybe it's just me, but it bothers me. 🙂

I attached two pictures for reference.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Competitive products have the model tree transparent or semi-transparent so you can see the model window through the model tree window - very nice, maybe one day...

Regards,
Walt Weiss

dgallup
4-Participant

How could you even see yellow dimensions on a white screen? See attachment of how Creo2 comes up by default on my system.

I have one more question, what entity color is used for snap lines? They used to be a relative faint grey, visible but not in your face. Every color scheme I have tried they stand out more than the dimensions. There is no snap line entity in the system color dialog (at least I can't find it if it's there).

In Reply to Damian Castillo:

My users like the new colors and I personally do as well.

I completely understand how people have different preferences. The one thing I don't like about changing the colors away from the default off-white is that the model tree no longer blends into the graphics screen. With the default colors, you get a sense that the model tree is floating over the graphics screen but not when you change it.

It would be nice if PTC allowed the background section of the model tree to blend into the color you picked for the graphics area.

Maybe it's just me, but it bothers me. 🙂

I attached two pictures for reference.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

David,

There seems to be a problem with your setup. This is not the default that Creo uses.

Here are some screenshots of the model environment and the drawing environment. As you can see, the default dimension colors are blue and look just fine on the white background.

dgallup
4-Participant

Yeah, something weird is going on. I tried updating the video driver, made no difference. I have loaded a syscol.scl file that looks better but still not great. Now the letter color is supposed to be yellow on a black background according the the syscol.scl and the text properties dialog. However, it is blue on the screen. I have no idea where to go with this. I'll have a new workstation in a month or so, I will probably see how it looks on that before I spend too much more time on it.

David,

There seems to be a problem with your setup. This is not the default that Creo uses.

Here are some screenshots of the model environment and the drawing environment. As you can see, the default dimension colors are blue and look just fine on the white background.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I just discovered the black-on-white scheme in Creo.  Much more useful than the out of the box colors.  You might give that a try if, like me, you like the lighter scheme bu the default colors leave you annoyed.

|

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I think the ability to change the colors is important to many. I like the default colors but not everyone will. I just wish that the UI was setup to allow different color schemes while maintaining the cool illussion of the model tree floating. This looks very modern but when you change it to any other color, you see a hard line between the model tree background and the graphics area which look cheap in my opinion.

The little things bother me sometimes. 🙂

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dgallup
4-Participant

I'm getting the same behavior on tow different machines, they are differnt brands, have different processors and video cards so it got me to thinking maybe it has something to do with my Windows 7 settings. On both machines I have set the visual effects performance options (under advanced system properties in the Control Panel) to "Adjust for best performance". This gets rid of every Aero BS fade/slide/shadow/animate feature. Is this messing with Creo's colors? With WF4 this setting made all the difference between an unresponsive system and a snappy system, but maybe Creo wants some of the eye candy?

In Reply to David Gallup:

Yeah, something weird is going on. I tried updating the video driver, made no difference. I have loaded a syscol.scl file that looks better but still not great. Now the letter color is supposed to be yellow on a black background according the the syscol.scl and the text properties dialog. However, it is blue on the screen. I have no idea where to go with this. I'll have a new workstation in a month or so, I will probably see how it looks on that before I spend too much more time on it.

David,

dgallup
4-Participant

Damian

I enabled all the Windows Aero farkles and the default CREO2 system colors. Now I see blue dimensions and red note text like your attachement. However, I still get the bizzar behavior that when I click on a note and go to the text style, it it says it is system color "letter" & shows it BLUE but the text is RED.

David,

dgallup
4-Participant

I found this SPR about system color problems. Sounds like what I'm seeing.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS114394

Description In the File > Options > System Colors menu, the Colors keep the original values instead the modified Colors in Creo Parametric 2.0

Applies To

• Creo Parametric 1.0 all datecodes

• Creo Parametric 2.0 F000 to M050

Resolution

• Reported to R&D as SPR 2166495

• Corrected in Creo Parametric 2.0 M060

Top Tags