cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Damaged file problem

MB_10705348
2-Guest

Damaged file problem

Good morning.
I am having trouble opening a PTC Mathcad file. The following message appears. Is there any way to solve this situation? Thank you so much.

MB_10705348_0-1685754297847.png

----------------------------------------------------------
Translated text from Spanish to English using Google translate. By community moderation team.
Subject: Problema con archivo dañado
Body:  Buenos días.

Estoy teniendo problemas para abrir un archivo de PTC Mathcad. Me aparece el siguiente cartel ¿Existe alguna forma de poder solucionar esta situación? Muchas gracias.
-----------------------------------------------------------

5 REPLIES 5

It looks like you are trying to open a Prime 9 file with Prime 8. This can't work as PTC has decided for incompatibility between all versions even though the file extension remains the same. While Prime 9 can open a Prime 8 file, it cannot save a file in Prime 8 format like other software is able to do (losing just the features not available in the older version) and your P8 refuses to open a file created with a newer version.

In former versions of Prime it was able to copy the whole file (you may have to put it into an area first) from Prime X to an older version of Prime if you have both installed, but this has been broken and now only one single region would be allowed to copy. So copying one region after the other is rather prohibiting even if someone has Prime 9 and Prime 8 installed.

@LucMeekes  seems to have found methods to convert files down to older versions - I'm not sure how and how much effort it takes.

If you can post the P9 file he might be able and willing to convert it for you.

I often used a simple method posted by a user here in the forum to open newer files with Prime 6, but the method wasn't really reliable an ever so often fails. But if you post the file I could give it a try or you can give it try yourself - here is the link

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Prime-backwards-compatibility-solved-Or-at-least-hacked/m-p/637537

Tengo instalada la versión PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0. No debería ser un archivo Prime 9.0 ya que siempre trabaje con la versión P8. Igualmente subo el archivo para ver si tiene algún otro error.

I see!

Its not a P9 file but its "simply" damaged.

This seems to happen quite often with Prime and Prime does not provide any means like automatic backups or a meaningful error message  as former versions did, which would help to repair the file.

Hope you made manually backups yourself!

I tried to repair the file but with no success.

You may contact PTC support - at least they should know how to save as much from the damaged file as possible (yes, contrary to my experience, I keep thinking positively)

EDIT: Find attached my best try to repair the file. All the pics are missing. Some pics could be saved - i attach them in the PICS.zip archive.

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. Lamentablemente no tengo un backup de lo trabajado. Sinceramente agradezco mucho tu colaboracion. Voy a revisar los archivos y te cuento como me fue.

Muchas gracias - большое спасибо. Это и я понимаю. Сейчас у меня студент из Кубы!

Top Tags