cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

PTC account Creation Security Challenge

DC_10517352
5-Regular Member

PTC account Creation Security Challenge

BadSecurity.PNG

When I created my account, I noticed the above.

Please fix.

Either remove the challenge or replace it with an actual challenge.  

Not only is it easy to OCR the underlined numbers, look at what is in the HTML that is sent.

Please enter the <u>underlined</u> numbers only, in order:

<input type="text" name="ptc_challenge" />
	<input type="hidden" name="ptc_challenge_md5" value="d46b5563235785cb406f053a22ec6288" />
	<input type="hidden" name="ptc_challenge_time" value="1671108352228" />
	<input type="hidden" name="ptc_challenge_mask" value="101100" />
	<input type="hidden" name="ptc_challenge_string" value="173304"  />
	<u>1</u>7<u>3</u><u>3</u>04

So, a spammer can just read the mask and apply it to the string, and spam you folks.  They don't even have to do OCR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @DC_10517352 (and @VladimirN thank you for bringing me in to the thread), 

This is timely, as our team is currently revamping the new user registration experience to simplify the whole process, collecting only the minimal data needed, and removing the burden of asking new users which type of account they require.

As we have other protection on this, and other pages, we'll review whether it's appropriate to remove the now dated "Underline" challenge, or replace out with a more modern (reCAPTCHA or similar) service. 

Look out for the new experience at some point during Sprint 2023.

Peter.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@PeterCase Please take a look.

Hi @DC_10517352 (and @VladimirN thank you for bringing me in to the thread), 

This is timely, as our team is currently revamping the new user registration experience to simplify the whole process, collecting only the minimal data needed, and removing the burden of asking new users which type of account they require.

As we have other protection on this, and other pages, we'll review whether it's appropriate to remove the now dated "Underline" challenge, or replace out with a more modern (reCAPTCHA or similar) service. 

Look out for the new experience at some point during Sprint 2023.

Peter.  

Top Tags