cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Saving family table instances?

cedroneg
6-Contributor

Saving family table instances?

Hello,

I am trying to send an instance of a part but it is within a family table. So when I save a copy of it out to my local directory it also saves the generic file. Is there a way to only save the one file and send it? Also if not, is it possible to save the generic file as a new part and get rid of the family table within it? Hope that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cedroneg
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Hello,

I just realized that saving a copy will work for me. The problem I was having was that I wanted a backup of the part with the same part number that is not tied to a family table (I am working out of windchill) creo sets up auto generated part numbers for us so when I go to save a copy I get a new part number but it is free of any ties to the family table. I solved my issue by saving a copy, opening that file, saving a backup of it locally, then just renaming that to the part number I wanted since it is separate from windchill, and finally I just deleted the copy I made from my workspace. 

Thank you for the help

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cedroneg)

Try doing a save-as on the instance from within the assembly to a new name, then export that part file,

Depending on how many instances in the family table, after doing the export of the generic, open it and delete all instances but the one you want. It becomes a family table of 1 instance.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:cedroneg)

Are you doing a "Save a Copy" or "Save a Backup"?  Doing a "Save a Copy" from the instance should create a new, stand-alone model that is not part of a family table.  (No generic should come along.)  See this post for more info:  https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Family-table-creating-from-existing-family-table/m-p/388143/highlight/true#M98027

cedroneg
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Hello,

I just realized that saving a copy will work for me. The problem I was having was that I wanted a backup of the part with the same part number that is not tied to a family table (I am working out of windchill) creo sets up auto generated part numbers for us so when I go to save a copy I get a new part number but it is free of any ties to the family table. I solved my issue by saving a copy, opening that file, saving a backup of it locally, then just renaming that to the part number I wanted since it is separate from windchill, and finally I just deleted the copy I made from my workspace. 

Thank you for the help

Top Tags