cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Connect Kepware Server to ThingWorx Foundation Tutorial Failure

sjoyce
8-Gravel

Connect Kepware Server to ThingWorx Foundation Tutorial Failure

Hello, I'm trying to follow the Connect Kepware Server to ThingWorx Foundation tutorial here. 

However on step 4, "Test Connection", I'm stuck because my connection has failed and the Simulation_Examples_Functions_Random3 property doesn't ever change and the Industrial Thing:IndConn_Tag1 thing remains disconnected.  The Industrial Connection:IndConn_Server thing shows connected and I can click on Discover and see the tags from my kepware server so I don't know why it thinks it's not connected.  Errors present in the app log:

• ErrorCode(ab084a75-29f5-48e0-bc81-237601e39af0), Cause(null), Reason(Access was attempted on a null reference variable.), Possible Resolutions(Remove the reference to the null variable within your extension code.)
  • Unable to dispatch [ uri = /Things/IndConn_Server/Services/GetIndustrialThings/]: Unable to Invoke Service GetIndustrialThings on IndConn_Server : null

• error executing APIRequest Message: Unable to dispatch [ uri = /Things/IndConn_Server/Services/GetIndustrialThings/]: Unable to Invoke Service GetIndustrialThings on IndConn_Server : null, sending ERROR ResponseMessage to caller!

I couldn't tell you what or where null is in any of these errors here.  Again, I'm just following along in the tutorial step by step.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sharon, the problem I was having was permissions based.  I just changed permissions for different components at random until I landed the correct combination to get the thing to work.  It would have been nice if the error message was more helpful.  It would also be great if the tutorial had a link to an article explaining how to set up permissions to get things chatting nicely or just some help troubleshooting permissions issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Please ensure following in Kepware and Thingworx.

Kepware:

Sathishkumar_C_3-1667879289477.png

Thingworx:

In IndConn_Server thing, see the isConnected property is TRUE.

Yes, kepware and thingworx both show as connected but my step four fails because the IndConn_Tag1 thing cannot talk to IndConn_Server thing.  

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:sjoyce)

Hi @sjoyce.

We recommend reviewing the tutorial again.  We have tested this in the past and it worked successfully. 

If you still have problems, we can open a case to troubleshoot what may be going on.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi Sharon, the problem I was having was permissions based.  I just changed permissions for different components at random until I landed the correct combination to get the thing to work.  It would have been nice if the error message was more helpful.  It would also be great if the tutorial had a link to an article explaining how to set up permissions to get things chatting nicely or just some help troubleshooting permissions issues.

Top Tags