cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

File download to remote thing repository fail

khayes1
13-Aquamarine

File download to remote thing repository fail

Hi,

I'm having a problem downloading files to a remote thing. The files appear to be downloading to the edge, but then get stuck in the staging directory and are not passed on to the intended final directory. From what I can see the process for downloading files is that they first get downloaded to a staging folder then upon completion they are renamed & moved to the intended destination folder. Everything suggests that the download to the staging folder is okay

Selection_292.png

We use the ptc edge microserver (ems). In the example above the file's final destination should have been the "messages" folder. We are using the File Transfer Subsystem service 'Copy' to do the transfer. Transferring files from the edge to the cloud/server works fine.

Has anyone come across this issue themselves, or can anyone suggest where I might start looking (logs) for a clue as to what the problem might be.

Thanks,

K

3 REPLIES 3
statka
12-Amethyst
(To:khayes1)

Hello @khayes1,

Based on the screenshot, it appears that your file transfer is at least starting successfully, which is a good sign.  The fact that you are left with a partial file (.part) at the end of the operation that has a non-zero size seems to indicate that the file transfer is likely timing out.  You should be able to resume the transfer at a later time by initiating another transfer of the file to the same folder on your edge device.  Can you confirm if you can complete the transfer after resuming?

Also, if you want to check the status of the transfer operation, the logs on both the edge side and on the platform should have further details on this.  On the platform side, the application log should have something at the error level for failed transfers.  If it is a timeout as I suspect, you should see a "Transfer did not complete within 60000 ms" error (60000 ms is the default timeout, so this value could be different in your environment).  On the edge side, parse through the logs for the phrase "FILE TRANSFER NOTIFICATION" to see the status of the transfer.

Finally, keep in mind the timeout parameter for the copy service.  This is the time referenced in the example error message I provided in the previous paragraph.  Increasing this value can give the transfer more time to complete before timing out.

Let us know if this information helps!

Regards,

Stefan

khayes1
13-Aquamarine
(To:statka)

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the response, appreciate it. It looks like the file download to the staging directory is working correctly. I am seeing the VALIDATED event. It appears that the issue is connected to the process of moving the  file from the staging directory to the final destination. We have noticed that if the final destination is in RAM the download completes, but if the final destination folder is in Flash then it does not. We're looking into what might cause this, but if you have any ideas that would be helpful.

Thanks again for the response.

K

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:khayes1)

Hi @khayes1.

Can you elaborate on the final destination folders?  Is it possible this is a permissions issue?

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags