cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Historic Values

pbaierl
1-Newbie

Historic Values

What is the maximum number of historic entries that can be tracked for a value?

I have logging turn on for many of my remote thing property values.  I am trying to get an idea of how far back in time I can look at the data.  Is all data maintained or are only the past 50,000 entries tracked?

Thanks,

Paul

3 REPLIES 3

Don't think there's any hardcoded limit, will depend on the database you selected and disk storage, but for sure you will hit performance issues at some point...

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:pbaierl)

Hi Paul, given the intent is to query tonnes of historic values may be you could consider utilizing SAP HANA, the in-memory DB as persistence provider, which may not be as cheap as running other persistence provider DB. But if the cost could be justified with the real need to query so much data and really fast this option could be explored. Else depending upon what sort of DB you are using as persistence provider, the other idea could be to have materialized views.

Thank you for all of the input.  Currently I am using the PostgresPersistenceProviderPackage persistence provider.  For my application I do not need to look up more than 1000 - 2000 entries at a time.  However, I am not sure if I am able to loose any of the historic values.  So I am not as concerned about pulling massive amounts of data all at once as I am having access to the data.  

Top Tags