cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Thingworx FQDN

SA_10373213
6-Contributor

Thingworx FQDN

Hi,

How do I know what FQDN(Fully Qualified Domain Name) of my thingworx platform composer is? I am trying to switch thingworx web protocol from HTTP to HTTPs but struggling with finding FQDN to generate SSL certificate.

Many Thanks

Sai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So, providing some insight: usually when people mention FQDN, they refer to something like:

1. "prod.company.com"

2. however, it can be also something like "hostname.internal.company.com".

The second option is used as FQDN in the internal network, while the first one as FQDN for public networks.

The reality is that in the FQDN you can put whatever name will be resolved by the computer that will try accessing the ThingWorx instance.

For example, if you use as FQDN an internal resolvable name, and you only plan to access the instance from internal company network, then that will work perfect (but of course, that FQDN will not be resolvable from public internet, unless you use a VPN)

However, for public access, you will most probably use "prod.company.com". In this situation, you need to choose a subdomain name (the "prod" part).

Overall I you should raise an IT ticket in your company to ask them these details. These are usually well known by the IT teams.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The FQDN is the complete domain name of your ThingWorx instance. If you would access ThingWorx through

https://vlad.thingworx.com/Thingworx/Composer, then the FQDN would be vlad.thingworx.com

Considering the explanation above, and in order to be able to answer your question:

1. What URL do you use to access the platform today?

2. What kind of certificate do you want to generate: self-signed or one signed by a CA?

Hi,
Thank you for the reply.

1. We use Hostname:8080\Thingworx to access the platform.

2. The certificate will be signed by a CA.

So, providing some insight: usually when people mention FQDN, they refer to something like:

1. "prod.company.com"

2. however, it can be also something like "hostname.internal.company.com".

The second option is used as FQDN in the internal network, while the first one as FQDN for public networks.

The reality is that in the FQDN you can put whatever name will be resolved by the computer that will try accessing the ThingWorx instance.

For example, if you use as FQDN an internal resolvable name, and you only plan to access the instance from internal company network, then that will work perfect (but of course, that FQDN will not be resolvable from public internet, unless you use a VPN)

However, for public access, you will most probably use "prod.company.com". In this situation, you need to choose a subdomain name (the "prod" part).

Overall I you should raise an IT ticket in your company to ask them these details. These are usually well known by the IT teams.

Thank you Vladimir. We will try assigning Domain name for the thingworx URL and will confirm whether it works for HTTPs.

Top Tags