cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vuforia Chalk - availability in more countries

SOLVED
Participant

Vuforia Chalk - availability in more countries

Is there a timeline for Chalk to be available in China?

Related to previous post

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vuforia Chalk - availability in more countries

Unfortunately, China is on-hold indefinitely due to their requirements of:

1. Requiring service providers to operate from China
  2. Requiring a license to operate a service in China (which is only granted to Chinese companies)

...you can see from this article (here) that even Amazon had to comply with Chinese law.

With that said - for Chalk - we can break this down into:

1. Can I download Chalk in China from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store?
  2. Can I use Chalk in China if I already have it downloaded & installed on my device and travel into China?

For #1 - due to China's laws - we are unable to meet their requirements, so we cannot publicly distribute the app through those public stores.

For #2 - we have had customers report they have been able to use Chalk in China (example: an automotive prospect and reported successful tests with good results from a factory in China). As long as the user's network is not blocked from accessing our resources, then they should be able to use Chalk (e.g., make a call from someone in China to a person in the U.S.). To minimize latency (to ensure a good user experience) - we regionalize our resources, so if the user attempts to make a call - it will likely connect to servers located in Singapore (as the closest region to China).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product
3 REPLIES 3

+1

Hi, 

I have reached out to our internal team and @danhitomi will be providing you the detailed information on chalk availability in china. 

Unfortunately, China is on-hold indefinitely due to their requirements of:

1. Requiring service providers to operate from China
  2. Requiring a license to operate a service in China (which is only granted to Chinese companies)

...you can see from this article (here) that even Amazon had to comply with Chinese law.

With that said - for Chalk - we can break this down into:

1. Can I download Chalk in China from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store?
  2. Can I use Chalk in China if I already have it downloaded & installed on my device and travel into China?

For #1 - due to China's laws - we are unable to meet their requirements, so we cannot publicly distribute the app through those public stores.

For #2 - we have had customers report they have been able to use Chalk in China (example: an automotive prospect and reported successful tests with good results from a factory in China). As long as the user's network is not blocked from accessing our resources, then they should be able to use Chalk (e.g., make a call from someone in China to a person in the U.S.). To minimize latency (to ensure a good user experience) - we regionalize our resources, so if the user attempts to make a call - it will likely connect to servers located in Singapore (as the closest region to China).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product