cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

3D point on Sphere

cdown
4-Participant

3D point on Sphere

I have created a point on a sphere, which is constrained by 2 planes to give me a 3D position.

How ever is there a way to create the sphere as a part of positioning the point so as it will give me all of the features I need to pattern the point for different 3D positions?

I'm not too sure I have explained myself too well, see picture.

say the centre of the sphere is a sample, and the point on the sphere is a port position, I would like to pattern the point to different positions and different sphere diameters.

Hope that makes sense

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
davehaigh
11-Garnet
(To:cdown)

This is from a document I created many years ago. Essentially you need to define your points from the center of the sphere in spherical coordinates. You can use the equations on this page to convert between Cartesian and spherical coordinates.
[cid:image001.png@01D04B6C.4BBC30C0]

David Haigh
davehaigh
11-Garnet
(To:cdown)

I saw it might be easy to miss the Rho vector in the illustration so I filled it in with red.
[cid:image002.png@01D04B6D.78219690]

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

Another possible way is to position points relative/offset to a CSYS. See attached file. Pnt0 and pnt2 are part of a table of points that are positioned to a csys via radius of sphere and angles to x and y planes. Pnt1 was created at the intersection of the sphere surface and two planes.

Ron
Top Tags