cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Automate Analysis (FEA and CFD) in Product Development

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Automate Analysis (FEA and CFD) in Product Development

Hello everyone,

We are about to make some key decision on software selection and one point of interest I have is the degree of standardisation I can implement in our product development process.

That is, when we develop new products (generally very similar one to another), we generally do not perform FEA or CFD because of the time it takes, or lack of skilled staff.

My intention is to standardize the way we model, so we can apply template for FEA or CFD and get the calculation running more quickly. The next step would then be to automate it.

That is, I have my model finished according to defined modelling policy, I then click a button and my FEA, CFD start.,

This could be pushed further, Upon check in CDF or FEA start automatically (as the CAD worker does to publish models), and if results are outside certain limits a warning (email) is sent, otherwise it is all good.  Or simply the results are posted somewhere.

Obviously, as you can see, I am not expert in this area.

My questions to you are

Have you reached this level of standardisation and automatition

Do you think this is possible (technically speaking as I appreciate you do not know our products)

Thanks a lot

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:ChrisPLM)

I like ANSYS for CFD/FEA.  The workbench interface is very intuitive and the translation in from Pro Engineer is excellent.

You can do parameter studies by naming parameterized dimensions with an DS_ prefix and Pro Engineer will automatically open and generate the next model for you.

Also if you implement EKM then you can use an automated workflow for future studies by even non-trained personnel.  I think this is the answer that you are seeking.

Rule 1: Don't model anything using surfaces.

Rule 2: Make everything pass a Geometry Check before any simulation.

Rule 3: If the parts are assembled make sure that they are actually touching each other where you want them to touch.

Rule 4: You should model your parts so it is easy to change the dimension to worst case scenario (i.e. Minimum/Maximum conditions).  Don't use created dimensions for important tolerances.

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

You got it right. The overall idea  is to put FEA and CFD in our standard process but we do not have all our designers to be FEA/CFD expert.

We keep the very special cases for the expert.

Thanks for the info.

OK so even this level of automation will even work with Ansys, however will all the files (apart of the results files) be integrated into Windchill for future auditing and traceability ?

Best regards and have a good weekend

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone
(To:ChrisPLM)

Hello

It's just for information if you haven't seen it already.

Kind regards.

Denis

COMSOL Multiphysics® Product Suite

Top Tags