cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Copying and pasting table from Excel does not paste contents

hellokevin
3-Visitor

Copying and pasting table from Excel does not paste contents

Arbortext Version: 6.1

Issue: I'm trying to use the "Paste Excel" feature in Arbortext, but all that happens is it pastes the correct amount of rows and tables, but does not populate the cells with the content.  I know this is because when it generates the table, it does not populate the cells with <para>.  For reference, another user had this exact issue in this thread: 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Arbortext/Arbortext-Editor-5-3-M210-Importing-Tables-Via-Excel-into-S1000D/m-p/73726

Word for word it is the exact same issue I, and my organization, are facing.  We're left to manually enter in our content one by one.  In the link above, the response mentioned editing the .dcf file and changing the InsertAuto setting.  This is the solution we are looking for, but do not know how to go about doing this.

What are the steps to change that setting so that whenever a table is created, it automatically populates a <para> in each cell?

2 REPLIES 2

I think that earlier comment from Pushpinder you linked is definitely worth a look. It is quite likely you are using a custom DTD/schema that disallows "bare text" inside a table cell. Arbortext is trying to paste the content directly into the table cells but then encounters the DTD/schema validation issue.

So, you have to wrap up your pasted text somehow to meet the constraints of your DTD/schema. The DCF file is in your "custom" folder and should have the same name as your DTD/schema base file. e.g. c:\my\customdtd\customdtd.dcf. You can edit the DCF file by loading into Arbortext editor itself. You should be able to hunt around and find where to put the InsertAuto field. I'm not 100% convinced that will actually fix the issue, so if that doesn't help then you will instead need to update the MapTemplate (Import/Export file) that is responsible for Excel smart paste. That requires the Arbortext Import/Export product and some know-how, it is not a simple task.

PTC Support may be able to advise you with all this. If do you need professional services assistance or support with Arbortext then there are a number of PTC partner organisations who are able to help. Our company GPSL is one of them. www.gpsl.co.

Gareth, thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly.  We will look into your response and see what we can do and go from there.  Much appreciated!

Top Tags