cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Default drawing formats/templates

ptc-5367402
1-Newbie

Default drawing formats/templates

Have not used ProE in years, the drawing formats I had saved in my old config.pro folder will not work in creo 2.0. Additionally I cannot get the default formats to appear in my drawings. When going into the config.bat file to set up my defaults the window flashes quickly and does not allow me to modify the default. Can anybody please tell me quick way to utilize the default drawing templates PTC provides in creo 2.0? I just need basic formats with a title block/revision block. Thank you

18 REPLIES 18

If you run the default install using the empty config.pro, you should be able to access the default title blocks. File>new drawing>etc... dialog.

It is odd that your old formats don't work. So far I have had great luck with compatibility from 2000i to Creo 1.0 and Creo 2.0.

Do you know how to restore the config.pro so the default formats are available? Where should the formats be stored as a rule? Thanks in advance... J

You should have a line in your config.pro called pro_format_dir that is pointing to a location. If you remove this or comment it out, it should point back to the default ones from the install.

Are you sure that the locations you are copying to/from are still correct and valid?

Where do I go to edit my config.pro and look for the pro_format_dir?

C:\<loadpoint>\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M0?0\text\config.pro

Also i suggest that you right click and open the .bat file you are using with a text editor like notepad or notepad ++. take a look at what it is doing.

C:\<loadpoint>\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M040\formats\

When you install Creo, it give you an icon on the desktop. I save this shortcut as my default config. It doesn't load any specific config.pro... just the default settings. Any new config.pro I place in a client folder and I point the "Start In" in a new desktop shortcut to the client's folder. This way, I never loose or worry about the default config.pro. I don't even know where it is stored if you save it after making a change. Technically, if you did save one, you can delete it to get back to the original config.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Do you know if there are symbol files or other text files that come with the default formats?  I'm trying to create a new format but the defaults are just the blocks with no text.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:A.DelNegro)

What sort of symbols are you looking for?

The PTC provided formats are samples and I'm not even sure they comply with ASME Y14.1.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

I just see they offer 'formats' but don't actually provide any way to easily add text to the title blocks. I haven't made a new title block in about 20 years so I was wondering what the intent was. We fill our title block by inserting a symbol that is all the default text.  It dates to Pro/E R18-19ish but works so there was no need to change it.

I was hoping maybe PTC had actually provided something useful but of course I'm disappointed. (not really sure why anymore)

PTC has allowed adding parameters to the format that can be automatically filled from the model or from the drawing. This allows the same information to be accessed directly by a PDM system, a much more comprehensive solution than other approaches.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

I am aware of this and do agree that its great functionality. My inserted symbol has many auto-populated fields.  I was just hoping they had a template as a starting point instead of having to reconstruct everything from scratch. I even searched the web to see if there were any I could use as a starting point but apparently there are not.

If you mean that when you run the .bat file, the window it opens closes too quickly, then add Pause statements after the lines you are interested in seeing. It will wait for you to hit Enter on the keyboard.

You may also need to remove 'quiet' or silent flags on commands in the .bat file.

By the way - config.bat?

Thanks to everyone for there input and help, unfortunately no matter what I try I cannot get a default ptc drawing format to appear in a new drawing? As a new Creo user I am not sure what is the best solution to restore the default drawing formats. Any suggestions?

We could go round and round to try to figure this out, but if you or your company recently acquired Creo, you also have a one year maintenance package. This means that with little effort, you can log a case through the PTC website. A support technician will assist you to resolve your problem. The really good thing about this is that they can "look over your shoulder" by screen-sharing your session. And they can even look for things to fix.

Are you working for a compnay that is managing this through an IT function or are you "it"?

Jeff,

you could create a template drawing with format and use the config.pro option template_drawing path\my_template

Reinhard

jstone-2
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5367402)

This might seem obvious, but make sure your drawing has the "show format" checkbox ticked.  Double click the Size at the bottom left of your drawing.

2018-03-11_12-33-31.jpg2018-03-11_12-25-33.jpg

jstone-2
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5367402)

you can set your template_drawing config.pro option to the filename of the format you want to use.  Create a new drawing and select "use default template". Typically located in C:\program files\PTC\Creo 2.0\MXXX\common files\formats\d.frm   (replace MXXX with your datecode)

You could also try choosing your format manually. For Creo 3.0 (not sure if 2.0 is any different)-

Create a new drawing .

Uncheck use default template.

Select empty with format.

browse to the default formats directory and select a size.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:jstone-2)

Sorry jstone-2, I think folks are totally missing my point. I know HOW to make a format and how to use it. I was just in a rush last week to make a completely new format for a new customer and didn't want to have to make one completely from scratch. (It needed to look completely different from the one I currently use) Since it has been years since I've even looked at a new format, I was hoping maybe PTC supplied a few good example formats that I could just tweak for my use. Obviously the only thing they supply is the sketched format you have shown with no tables or any default intelligence built in.  I managed to grab one from GrabCAD.com that was close to what I needed and modified that.

Thanx for all your responses.

Top Tags