cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How to open (import) multiple STL files at once in PTC Creo Parametric?

Brian_11
6-Contributor

How to open (import) multiple STL files at once in PTC Creo Parametric?

I can open STL files one by one but each time I open a different STL file Creo opens it on a new page. I want to open all STL files on a single page with a single operation. How can I do that?

5 REPLIES 5
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:Brian_11)

As of Creo 7, Creo does not support opening multiple files with a single interface. It can be done through a workspace in a linked (Windchill) environment or it can be done with a mapkey.

To do the mapkey route, record a mapkey opening the file (the mapkey code changes with each Creo release). Then save the mapkey file and copy/paste the code over and over and change the filename to correspond to each file you want to open. This may be more effort then just opening them one by one.

Mapkey tips here: 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/System-Administration/Mapkey-Writing-Editing-Tips/td-p/443729

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Brian_11)

What do you mean by 'on a single page'?

Creo will open each step file into a new Creo file. If you want to open them into a single file, use the import command.

If you are trying to import an assembly, Creo should handle that as long as the step file is of the assembly.

If you need to build an assembly of your step files, open them all as individual Creo files and then create a new assembly file and assemble the components.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

He is mentioning .stl file not .stp file. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Brian_11
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Yes, I tried to mean 'on a single file'. Using 'import' command as you have suggested works fine but I also want to import multiple files at once.

@Brian_11 wrote:

Yes, I tried to mean 'on a single file'. Using 'import' command as you have suggested works fine but I also want to import multiple files at once.

Hi,

in Creo the ability to open/import more than one file in one step is not implemented.

I would create a small application that would generate a trail file. I would then have the trail file replayed. However, this solution requires knowledge of trail files.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags