cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

.prt file cannot be retrieved

SS_4227771
3-Visitor

.prt file cannot be retrieved

I am using Creo Parametric - Release 4.0 (connected) 4.0 M030

I try to open certain .prt files from a customer and it gives message that it " cannot be retrieved.
I try to open an assembly and some ot the .prt files are not visible. the .prt files in the folder that cannot be retrieved.
I talk to the customer and they do not have this problem.

Here are the errors that I faced
" filename" cannot be retrieved.

7 REPLIES 7
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:SS_4227771)

Its possible the files were made in a newer release of Creo, say Creo 5, 6, 7, 8. 

You can open the .prt file with a text editor and just below  the header of the file, it will tell you what release and datecode it was saved in.

StephenWilliams_0-1625070995626.png

@SS_4227771 wrote:

I am using Creo Parametric - Release 4.0 (connected) 4.0 M030

I try to open certain .prt files from a customer and it gives message that it " cannot be retrieved.
I try to open an assembly and some ot the .prt files are not visible. the .prt files in the folder that cannot be retrieved.
I talk to the customer and they do not have this problem.

Here are the errors that I faced
" filename" cannot be retrieved.

Hi,

if you are exchanging data with a customer, then install the same Creo version.

Martin Hanák

The Creo version is the same.     4.0

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Besides the version issue, are all of the customer files in a single folder or do you have your search path set to look in the proper folders for all of the component files. 

all the .prt files are in the same folder.

certain  files do not load in the assembly.

if I try to load the .prt files that do not open in the assembly individually that is when and i get the "cannot be retrieved".

the funny thing is if I use third party translator they will load.     

so that is my work around for now.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I would say you probably need to send the files to PTC. If they are non-proprietary, you could try attaching one to this post and let someone on the forum try. Seems as if there is some sort of corruption.

@SS_4227771 wrote:

all the .prt files are in the same folder.

certain  files do not load in the assembly.

if I try to load the .prt files that do not open in the assembly individually that is when and i get the "cannot be retrieved".

the funny thing is if I use third party translator they will load.     

so that is my work around for now.

Hi,

I guess that problematic parts are not created and saved in Creo. Probably these non-native files are "generated" by some non-Creo software.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags