cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Allow spaces in filenames

drush
4-Participant

Allow spaces in filenames

Allow spaces in filenames.  Yeah, it's simple.  Make PTC software save files like every other software on the planet.

17 REPLIES 17

Any problem with me removing the View tag on this? Creo View does not have an issue with spaces that I know of.

Of course yes.  But that would make it un-PTC.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:drush)

Allowing periods would be nice too

Not only in the names but also in folders.  It seems fickle if you try to save stuff offline or use an off line WS with spaces in it.  For Example, "My Documents" would not work.  I have not yet tried this in Creo though so perhaps this is fixed...?

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
cruf
6-Contributor

we no longer are on Unix let's go with modern file names

*** PLANNED FOR CREO 4.0 ***

There's no better news I can give on this one... spaces and special characters in feature names and filenames is planned for Creo 4.0

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Please make sure the Windchill team knows about this and plans to support it as well.  Won't do much good if Creo supports it but Windchill doesn't.

TomE
1-Newbie

what about capitol, my company wants everything in caps so my cap-lock is on, and I can't find a file because it (CREO) changes the file from what I typed.

As a related question, when opening a file or folder in Creo it sorts the files and folders in such a way that if it distinguishes between upper and lower case letters.  So Part1 would NOT be next to part1. It took me a LONG time (I will spare embarrassment by not defining LONG) to realize & Remember the reason I cannot find a file or folder...all because the sort order is ridiculously non-intuitive for users of modern operating systems.

Does any of the new versions fix this issue?  Are their any work around to this?

Chris3
20-Turquoise

You might want to vote on this idea if you haven't already:

Change files/folders sorting in File Open window

Ahh, didn't see that forum CHRISTOPHER REES‌.  Thanks for linking here (which is a good place to link it).  I voted it up! 🙂

gmehta
5-Regular Member

What will be the new CREO 4 filename limit, assuming PTC will also be increasing the number of characters allowed for file names.

50, 75, 100.

Can you please provide some more details.

Yes, very frustrating to have to remove spaces.

About time!! We are in the 21st century after all.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

In Creo 4 F000 spaces are still not allowed. The file limit is still at 31 characters.

Anyone have any updates on this?

Top Tags