cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Modal Analysis of press fit shaft hub assembly

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Modal Analysis of press fit shaft hub assembly

Hello All,

for my master project i need to do Modal analysis of press fiit shaft hub connection to find natural frequencies. I have used friction free contact for the press fit simulation.

1. I found that the differnce between calculated contact pressure and simulated contact pressure is large

2. As the contact interfaces in Modal analysis are ignored, i am trying to idealize the press fit interface by spring, But can anyone please explain how may i calculate the stiffness of spring for press fit interface, or is there any other method to perform modal analysis for press fit.

I ghave attached the CAD files and mathcad calculation in the folder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Harsh_Rao_0-1669974979087.png

Harsh_Rao_1-1669975029517.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
skunks
18-Opal
(To:h__)

there is no deviation, the results are the same

2022-12-03_.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
skunks
18-Opal

Modal analysis is linear but contact problem is nonlinear.
Your CAD data is created with a training version, better STEP

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock
(To:skunks)

Hello, could you please tell how may i linearize it with springs. 

i have only access to training version, doe it cause any differnce in the results.?

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

also when i am doing the static analysis with friction free interface there is deviation in contact pressure compared to calculated solution. Could you please tell what is reason behind the deviation in contact pressure.

skunks
18-Opal

I could look at the problem,
but I need STEP data.

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Hii,

i have attched the presentation which has detail explaination about the contraints for both modal and static analysis. 

skunks
18-Opal

first model attached

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Hii,

thanks for your feedback, but is there any reason for deviation in mathematical calculation and Fem results about contact pressure..

In this case, which contact pressure is more accurate. Mathematical calculations or Fem results

Harsh_Rao_1-1670089750563.png

skunks
18-Opal

there is no deviation, the results are the same

2022-12-03_.png

h__
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Hii,

many thanks for your feedback. This maximum stress concentration (in red color), should i consider it as singularity affect ??

should i neglect the stress at hub edges in red ?

skunks
18-Opal

No, no, my model has notch relief,
the stresses are real.

skunks
18-Opal

attached is an example of shaft / modal analysis

Top Tags