cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Bill of Materials for a family table assembly

jschmehl
1-Newbie

Bill of Materials for a family table assembly

Fellow gurus lend me a hand...

I have a handle and a pin, each of varying sizes, therefore each has a family table.

The assembly also has a family table
"Assy-A" has a Ø2 handle goes with Ø2 pin
"Assy-B" has a Ø3 handle goes with Ø3 pin
..and so on.

What is the best practice (robust method) to create a parts list OR table defining which components get assembled to create the assembly instance? I want to keep as much associated to the family table as possible. I can create manual BOM balloons and manual tables, but there must be a better way.

Any ideas?

Jamie Schmehl
Tool Designer
Synthes USA - West Chester, PA
610-719-1428

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

i make these kinds of tables alot. the reference material out there to step you through everything is pretty lacking and i got through it with alot of trial/error/cussing.

basically you:

1.create a table with as many columns as you think you may need (and if you get the number wrong you can add or remove columns), but you only need two rows (one for heading and the other for the first line).

2. create regions in each cell of the second row.

3. set report parameters per cell.

4. set filters per cell to show or not show particular infromation from the table.

the negative is pro can't count quantities...completely stupid that it can't, but it can't. so to cover that problem in my view i include my quantity number with the part leader/label.

how you handle the drawing numberis by preference or by companystandards. i create a '-x' suffix instance in my table to act as the drawing number and then each instance has a suffix with a real meaning, you could do running numbers as well. i make my drawing with the '-x' instance active so the t-block references it as do the views, but i also will add a view of my generic outside my t-block and then 'erase' the view (the table you create needs to have the generic as it's reference to work...if you come up with a blank table after finishing all the steps to create the table then you know you're not referencing your generic). now, if you don't want to create a '-x' instance version to be your drawing then you will have to use your generic as your drawing and therefore won't have to worry about the extra step of placing a view only to erase it, but i don't like having different parts referencing a specific real part's drawing...could be confusing for whomever's down the road from you. just a couple of ways to skin a cat....

these tables can be saved and imported so if you have similar situations you're not having to redo all the work.

Some time back I made a 47 page Power Point tutorial on how to do
this. I still have it but I would have to consider it proprietary to
the company I worked for at that time, no trade secrets but lots of
company logos and such.

How do you share such information without redoing the entire tutorial?

Top Tags