cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Drawing View outline size to ignore hidden geometry

BenMuston
5-Regular Member

Drawing View outline size to ignore hidden geometry

By default the size of a drawing view outline is determined by all of the geometry in a particular model, irrespective of whether that geometry is visible or hidden.

As a consequence for many models, the size of the drawing view outline is very large and results in drawing views being overlapped in order to fit views on the sheet.

The worst problem with the current functionality this is that drawing views will re-size and models appear to move around due to a change in the model. This is a problem because a cosmetic change in the model can result in a large number of views 'moving' and considerable rework to re-place dimensions, notes, annotations in their correct positions.

For example I may start with a drawing looking like this, the view outline is highlighted for convenience:

01.jpg

Then I will simply go into my model, add a sketch, and come back to my drawing which now looks like this:

02.jpg

You can see how the main view and side view moves down toward the bottom page border. The view hasn't actually moved, rather the centroid of the view is in exactly the same place. It's just the model has moved relative to the centre of the view. Even if I hide the sketch the view outline remains unchanged.

There is a hidden DTL option which allows for the drawing view outline: EXCL_CRV_FEAT_FROM_VIEW_OUTL=YES
Setting this option allows curves to be omitted from the view outline calculation, you can see the result:

03.jpg

You can see the main view effectively moves back to where it was initially. This solves part of the problem, but not the whole problem. Surfaces are commonly used for construction and then hidden away. This DTL option doesn't help there. In addition sometimes we would not want hidden part files to be considered for drawing views, again this DTL option doesn't help.

So in summary what we are looking for is a drawing view size that is determined by the objects that are actually visible. Curves is a good start, but please extend this functionality.

9 REPLIES 9

Or else leave it as a check box option in the view properties, with default behavior set in config.pro.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenMuston)

I like the idea.  As a workaround you can change the origin of each view from the default "View Center" to a specific reference (like default coordinate system).  This will prevent the items in the view from changing position when the size of the view changes.

origin.PNG

This would be a great feature. In our company we use a "top down" approach to modelling which means we always have this issue with our drawings.

For me the issue is less about the part moving around and more about managability of the drawing when all views are overlapping.

In some instances we've created "detailed" views just to get the view borders down to something sensible but this is time consuming and not ideal.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

How do you get this hidden option EXCL_CRV_FEAT_FROM_VIEW_OUTL to actually work?  I'm trying to incorporate it into our standard template...

I'm using Creo 2.0

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Ah, never mind.  the setting does work for Sketches, but it doesn't work for Cosmetic sketches...

Yes - this should be fixed quickly as possible. We have really bad experience with Creo drawing module and lot of hours wasted unnecessarily to fix the Top-level assembly drawings again and again. Even after slight modifications in sub-assemblies, the top-level assembly drawing views  moved unnecessarily. All the BOM balloons misplaced /overlapped each other and the drawing became unreadable. Our top level drawings are big hence huge amount of work needed to re-fix them. 

Bumping this to see if anyone has found a solution or workaround?  I started a new thread, but it's for the same issue. 

GV_10306493
6-Contributor

Bump. Any resolution to this? I am experiencing it now.

I'm not in front of my system, but if I remember correctly, you can manually set the center of a view.  If so, that might solve the problem.

Top Tags