cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad file backward compatibility

SK_10512130
2-Guest

Mathcad file backward compatibility

Hi, I created a file in Mathcad Prime 8.0 and I'm sharing with my client who is using Mathcad Prime 7.0. But he's unable to open due to compatibility.

Can anyone help me out please on how to create a file that can be opened in Mathcad Prime 7.0 as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The is a way to edit the Prime 8 file, exchange one of the files in there  and resave the file. Its possible that the file afterwards can be opened with Prime 7.

I always use this method to open P7 and P8 files posted here in the forum with my P6. But there are also files which after editing still can't be opened. Especially when they use features not available in the older version (like drop downs). In the past @LucMeekes  often succeeded in converting these files as well by using a more sophisticated method.

The method I use is described here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Prime-backwards-compatibility-solved-Or-at-least-hacked/m-p/637537

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You can have two versions of Mathcad installed on your computer. 

• Open both versions
  • Open your Primate document
  • <Ctrl>-A to select everything
  • <Ctrl>-C to copy everything
  • Switch to a blank Prime 7 drawing and make sure our Option base and other critical settings are  the same.
  • <Ctrl>-V to paste everything into the Prime 7 version
  • SaveAs with a new name or location

Both Mathcad Prime versions are on different PCs.

Mathcad Prime 8.0 is installed in a laptop that is at one location and Mathcad Prime 7.0 Laptop is at some other location.

You can download and install Prime 7 on the computer that already has Prime 8.  Your Prime 8 license file will work for Prime 7.

Except installation is there a way out?

Actually my client and myself both're using licensed versions.

I only know of one possibility and it is not a certainty.  If you open a joint session (Remote Desktop, Teams, Zoom, ...) you may be able to allow remote control and use the copy-and-paste function between the computers.  Mathcad only operates in Express mode when working as a remote session.  Depending on the functionality you use, you might need to return control and restart Mathcad before it can work.  Let me know if this works.  I've never tried it.

Good Luck,

Bob

Prime will refuse to work in full mode when used via remote desktop. At least thats the case with node locked licenses.

Thanks for the advise. I'll try this.

The is a way to edit the Prime 8 file, exchange one of the files in there  and resave the file. Its possible that the file afterwards can be opened with Prime 7.

I always use this method to open P7 and P8 files posted here in the forum with my P6. But there are also files which after editing still can't be opened. Especially when they use features not available in the older version (like drop downs). In the past @LucMeekes  often succeeded in converting these files as well by using a more sophisticated method.

The method I use is described here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Prime-backwards-compatibility-solved-Or-at-least-hacked/m-p/637537

Top Tags