cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Search variables with subscript in MathCAD Prime v8.0

dboksha
5-Regular Member

Search variables with subscript in MathCAD Prime v8.0

Just started to use MathCAD Prime v8.0 (before were using MathCAD 15). 
Is it correct, that if variable has a subcript, then the "Find" function for this variable does not work?

Just if it true, it does not make sence to use this software -> because user cannot trace the path of this variable in the entire document. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The find works in Prime 8.  You can search for variables or literal subscripts.

What it does not do is search for included symbols like Phi, Alpha, Beta etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:dboksha)

You're referring to the 'literal subscript' obtained in Mathcad using a period (.) in the variable name. In Prime you type a [Ctrl _] instead.

Read here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Search-for-literal-subscript/m-p/749819#M197372

That was September last year. Since then Prime 8 was released...

without a remedy for this omission. But there are plans to change the search function (Point 10 in https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/PTC-Mathcad-All-Worksheets/m-p/798273#M201352 ). As always: it's a planned change, then it remains to see:

-when it happens, and

-if that change is an improvement...

You still can search for the individual parts of the variable name.

Success!

Luc

dboksha
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Thank you for the links. So, without searching function  - "variable + literal subscript"  - it is not relevant to use this software in my opinion. So, I will keep using MathCAD 15. 

The find works in Prime 8.  You can search for variables or literal subscripts.

What it does not do is search for included symbols like Phi, Alpha, Beta etc.

dboksha
5-Regular Member
(To:terryhendicott)

This means that you can search only "variable  without literal subscript" or "literal subscript without variable" - but you cannot search for "variable and literal subscript" together. 
In MathCAD 15  - I can write " Force.1", after point MathCAD represents visually the part of variable as literal subscript. Then I can search for entire variable in the document.

dboksha
5-Regular Member
(To:terryhendicott)

But this means, that you can search variables or literal subscripts, but not them together. It is not very conviniet, because the variables could have different name only by subscript. So in case of big code, it will be not possible to find, where this variable is used. 
Without this tracking it does not make sence to write big code in Prime.

Top Tags