cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Installing MC 14 with Windows 10

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Installing MC 14 with Windows 10

My computer died and I am trying to re-install Mathcad 14 with Windows 10. I am getting many error messages (many for help files which seem to be where they are supposed to be but the install program cannot find). But the error I could not get past was

ERR 1904.Module

C:\Program Files(x86)\MathCad\MathCad14\mcformsr.ocx failed to register HRESULT-2147220473

Any help would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi,

I guess that Mathcad 14 is too old and is not compatible Windows 10.

Suggestion:

• install virtualization software
  • create virtual machine with older Windows compatible with Mathcad 14
  • install Mathcad 14 inside virtual machine

MH

Martin Hanák

First you need to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package, which can be found it here (Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 - Search Microsoft.com 😞

x86: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

x64: Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) from Official Microsoft Download Center

And then reinstall Mathcad 14.

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

After I posted, I realized that despite all the error messages, MC 14 actually installed. I havent tested thoroughly but it seems to be working. I did check that I had

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package

on my computer. So at least for now, everything seems ok and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Ok.

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

Despite my last post, everything was not all right and I kept finding functionalities that did not work. And it turns out that I did Not have the Visual C++ package installed. But I did install the package and re-installed MC14 and everything is working fine.

So, thanks, VladimirN.

Hi John,

I am glad that you have solved your problem with this tip.

I am a new Windows 10 user and know zero about it (a Mac guy). I am running 10 under VMware Fusion.  I just installed MC14 M020.  It seems to be working.  Just to ead off any potential problems, how can I tell if the required VS C++ package is installed?  Thank you

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:RickCAZ)

I do not know anything about VMware Fusion but I can find it on my computer by:

Open File Explorer (should come up with windows button at lower left of your desktop).

Navigate to your hard disk (usually C:) and enter

Visual C++

in the search box. I have Visual C++ 2010 (rather than 2005 in the reply above) but MC 14 is working fine.

Once I got MC 14 installed, I did have two problems. One was that "print preview" crashes, but that is solved by installing the patch (M020) - search forum on "Print Preview crashes" for more info. The other was gettin the help files in folders where MathCad could find. But maybe you will not have either of these issues.

Thanks John

I could not find any C++ installation.

Mathcad 14 seems to be working.  I randomly tried a few things and they work.  Some of my old files work just fine.  I went into my various ebooks and they all seem to be working (except some windowing functions seem to be missing in signal processing).  Is the VC++ all-or-nothing with MC14?  Or would selected functions fail? 

BTW, Fusion is just a virtual machine environment.  You can install just about any OS and it will run inside a Mac environment.  I used to have XP installed (with MC14) but decided to upgrade.

Last question?  Do you know if there is a way to upgrade M020? 

Thanks

Rick

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You cannot upgrade Mathcad 14 higher than M020, see here http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

If you want newer stuff, you should buy the still flawed Prime to obtain a useful Mathcad 15.

Success!
Luc

LOL  My employer has a lot of Mathcad users.  They rolled out Prime.  Uniformly, with on exception I know of, everyone went back to MC15.  I can not fathom the benefit of Prime, whether it ever works well or not.

I guess I'll stick with the MC 14 M020.  The upgrade prices are way too steep for a home user.  I miss Mathsoft.  They allowed steeply discounted home users as long as you had a corporate license. 

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

I have stuck with MathCad 14 with M020 for similar reasons but that is fine for me (as long as I can keep installing). Nothing about Prime and the price make me want to go that route.

Interesting.

When I log in and chose Software-Downloads from the support page, I am ONLY offered MC14 M035.

Thats bad, as M035 had a severe memory bug and so it was better to stay with M030, which is not offered.

And MC15 is only offered in M045 and M030 flavor. I was used that all releases, beginning with F000 would be available. Is storage space too expensive for PTC?

WE

Yes, at some time all service releases for MC14 have been removed except for the last M035.

VladimirN: I am planning on installing MathCad 14 in Windows 10 (x64 laptop). I looked for MS Visual C++ on my hard drive (C:) and couldn't find it. I noticed that I have some software installed in the folder C:\Program Files (x86) and some in folder C:\Program Files. I assume MathCad will install in C:\Program Files (x86). My question is: which link (of the two you provided) shall I use to download MS Visual C++? Is it according to the software (x86) or according to the machine (x64)? Thanks

By default means the operating system.

Top Tags