cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Environment Compare Methods

RS_9893126
2-Guest

Environment Compare Methods

Apologies if this has been discussed before and I missed it. If so, please point me in the right direction.

We have three environments (Dev, QA, PROD) that run Thingworx. The "usual" process is followed by doing dev in Dev, test in QA, deploy to PROD. However, the project team has changed and Dev is in an unknown state with its changes.  (I think the term I hear the most is "wild west"). 

My question: Is there a way/tool that can be utilized to do an environment compare of Thingworx to see where and what the differences are? Much like running a diff in many IDE's?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is a tool called Beyond Compare (I'm using v4; probably others that do the same thing exist). This tool has the capability to compare folders.

Do an Export to Source Control Entities in both servers, get the resulted files in your local laptop, put them in 2 different folders and use the tool above.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:RS_9893126)

Hi @RS_9893126

Are you running the same version of ThingWorx in all environments?  One way that might work would be to take an .xml export of all the collections for each environment.  Not sure if everything will export in the same order though.

As an alternative, you could refresh your dev environment from a backup of the Prod db.  Make sure both environments are running the same version of ThingWorx.  Be sure to backup Dev (DB export and VM snaphost) before starting the process to ensure recovery if something goes wrong.   You'll have to be careful of any timers, etc. to ensure your Prod endpoints aren't getting updated with the wrong data.

Regards.

--Sharon

There is a tool called Beyond Compare (I'm using v4; probably others that do the same thing exist). This tool has the capability to compare folders.

Do an Export to Source Control Entities in both servers, get the resulted files in your local laptop, put them in 2 different folders and use the tool above.

Top Tags