cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to export and import Thingworx project from one server to another?

S_Elsayed
6-Contributor

How to export and import Thingworx project from one server to another?

Hello

I am trying to move my Thingworx project from one server (test) to another (prod) by exporting then importing. However, there are many ways to do so and I am not sure which one should I do. Could someone please clarify the steps in transferring my project from TRN to PROD?

All my services, mashups and datashapes are in one project.. However, some Things inherit from templates that are outside of my project. These templates have the same name on both servers.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @S_Elsayed 

Yeah, when you export a project without a repository, the file will be downloaded locally.

Velkumar_2-1693830549385.png

But when you specify Repository, entities will be exported on the server side

Velkumar_0-1693830210721.png

You can find exported entities in the Repository and you can download it

Velkumar_1-1693830419618.png

/VR

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @S_Elsayed 

If ThingTemplates are part of another project, you can import them in Prod (If any changes are done to ThingTemplate) and then your project. Also if some changes are done on ThingTemplate and nothing changed on your project, you can import ThingTemplate Project alone.

Also while exporting make sure to check  which will include dependent entities along with your project

For example: I have project Project_MU which has some mashups and Thing (which uses Thing Template from Project_TT)

Velkumar_0-1693801809336.png

Also, Mashups uses Things that are from another project. So while exporting when we check Include Dependents of this Project all dependent entities will be exported. 

In some cases, if you made changes only to mashups not to Things or ThingTemplate you can export only Mashups from Test env 

Velkumar_1-1693802361041.png

Export Format: XML which can be modified out of Thingworx. Export will be a normal XML which can be altered without Thingworx Composer (which is not recommended :p)

Universal Export: Sensitive information like passwords will be decoded while exporting. So entities with sensitive information can be imported into another system without any issue.

If possible make your project as Thingworx Extension and import it into the Production environment which will prevent altering codes directly in the Production Environment. You can use Thingworx Solution Central to deploy into different env or you can create Thingworx Extension manually

Thingworx Solution Central - Path A: Packaging, Publishing, and Deploying Solutions Using Solution Central (ptc.com)

More information on Thingworx Solution Central - What is Solution Central? (ptc.com)

Creating Thingworx Extension Package - Importing Composer-Created Entities (ptc.com)

More Information - Packaging and Deploying Solutions Built on the ThingWorx Platform (ptc.com)

/VR

S_Elsayed
6-Contributor
(To:Velkumar)

Thank you so much for your response.

I thought when exporting, a file will be downloaded locally on PC, however apparently that is not the case.

SE_10735050_0-1693828100404.png

I figured it has something to do with "Repository". Could you tell me how I can retrieve the file/folder exported so that I can import it? 

There are these options for importing, but I don't know of these is suitable considering the project i want to export is on another server.

SE_10735050_1-1693828554698.png

Hi @S_Elsayed 

Yeah, when you export a project without a repository, the file will be downloaded locally.

Velkumar_2-1693830549385.png

But when you specify Repository, entities will be exported on the server side

Velkumar_0-1693830210721.png

You can find exported entities in the Repository and you can download it

Velkumar_1-1693830419618.png

/VR

Announcements

Top Tags