cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Denying access on a folder in all products

prathi
1-Newbie

Denying access on a folder in all products

In all my products,

I have 2 folders - i) Tool  and ii) Design

And it the Product team

I have 2 user - i) Tool Engineer and ii) Design Engineer

I have to deny the Tool Engineer from either from viewing the Design Folder or if it can view it should not make any changes in it.

I created a custom domain and set the Deny permission on Full Control for Tool Engineer on Subfolder. And then associated this Domain with Design Folder. So now the Tool Engineer is not able to see the Design Folder.

But this is applicable in only one product.

I have multiple products and to apply this I ll have to do this changing of domain multiple times which I want to avoid.

Please suggest solution for it. Any other approach would be welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:prathi)

Even if you have a few dozen products, this is a reasonable thing to do one by one and a good approach in general - new Domain in each Product, mapped to Folder.

Suggestions:

- Add this to your Product Template so new Products have it automatically

- Put Deny only on Read, not Full Control

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Even if you have a few dozen products, this is a reasonable thing to do one by one and a good approach in general - new Domain in each Product, mapped to Folder.

Suggestions:

- Add this to your Product Template so new Products have it automatically

- Put Deny only on Read, not Full Control

Hi Mike,

I followed this approach later on, but the problem is there are many products and for those creating so many domains would be tedious job. Is there way other way out?

For new products, we will check upon the template.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

I've only done this manually. There may be some way to load the domains and the ACL(s) in those domains from file.  The work would then shift to creating the CSV file to load after converting to xml.  Even if there are 50 products, it's a one time thing that may take a few hours but is likely worth it.

Hey ,

Thank You Mike for your suggestions.

What I have planned as of now is to make a custom domain with the desired ACLs and map it to necessary folder atleast for one product. If possible I ll do this for all products, else would create a xml file and load ACLs.

And for new products which would be created, i ll save a product(wherein ACL is applied)  as a template and select that template for new products or might update these changes with the exiting template.

prathi
1-Newbie

Hi,

We have 568 products on which this has to be done. So its not feasible to create 568 custom domains. Is their any other way out?

Top Tags