cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to solve "cannot check in place holder document" problem

jinkaiwen
1-Newbie

How to solve "cannot check in place holder document" problem

hello! everyone:

When I check in file's it happens "cannot check in place holder document", I want to know what's the problem and how to solve it. it's urgency for me!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this community thread on Windchill "cannot check in place holder document" error

Summary of the exchanges and list of references:

• Root causes for such error may be different and usually require deeper analysis of the Data and relationship between objects.
  • However it is mostly related to Incomplete or Ghost objects, that are missing objects referenced by the data involved in the operation.
  • An “Auto resolve incomplete objects” option is available within the Check In UI and may help to update or ignore the objects and complete the action.
  • If the object is required and not found, then some more steps may be needed, like breaking the dependencies in the CAD tool itself.
  • Refer to article CS20956 to get more details and illustration

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Following is the excerpt from 'Using Pro/E with Windchill' Guide (http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/83442/en/UsingProeWithWCGuide.pdf)

I hope it helps.

Using the Add Placeholder Command

The Add Placeholder command allows you to attach a CAD
document template as a temporary file to allow the system to treat the incomplete dependent as fully defined.
To add a placeholder to an incomplete object, perform the following steps.
1. From the information page drop-down list of the incomplete object, select Add Placeholder and click Go.
2. The system adds the template for the file extension of the Pro/ENGINEER file to the incomplete object.

Note: The incomplete object must first be uploaded in order that:
– The View Information action is available from the object’s workspace Actions column (Windchill ProjectLink only).
– The Add Placeholder action is available on the object’s information page.

Regards,

Tondy

To close this community thread on Windchill "cannot check in place holder document" error

Summary of the exchanges and list of references:

• Root causes for such error may be different and usually require deeper analysis of the Data and relationship between objects.
  • However it is mostly related to Incomplete or Ghost objects, that are missing objects referenced by the data involved in the operation.
  • An “Auto resolve incomplete objects” option is available within the Check In UI and may help to update or ignore the objects and complete the action.
  • If the object is required and not found, then some more steps may be needed, like breaking the dependencies in the CAD tool itself.
  • Refer to article CS20956 to get more details and illustration
Top Tags