cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Assembly crashes in Master Rep but not Default Rep (which is Master Rep)

_DF_
1-Newbie

Assembly crashes in Master Rep but not Default Rep (which is Master Rep)

Just got bumped up to Creo 11 and needed to work with someone else's files from 10.

Try to open the top level assembly, immediate crash to desktop in 11.

Try to open the drawing for that assembly.  Also immediate crash.

Open the files in 10 from the old computer (which is in a dungeon) and I see that some parts are getting flagged as unstable.

I track down and remodel those parts and the file still crashes in 11.

I check the log file and the last part before the crash is a big circuit board.

The circuit board model opens but it's an import of an incredibly detailed model.  My computer, which is a little old now but extremely beefy, stuggles opening it.  There's individual circuit traces and individual part labels as solid models on the board.  There are tiny resistors that imported as five bodies.  There are also a bunch of vertex errors on the tiny text and some of the parts.  I go into Import data doctor and delete a few thousand bodies and surfaces, the board model now contains ~18 error-free bodies and opens almost instantly.

The top level assembly file still crashes in 11.

I check the Creo help stuff and one of the things suggests opening a different assembly representation.

Yeah, THAT'S not going to do anything.  Right?  Try opening the default rep (which defaults to master, hah!) instead of the master rep.

It.  Works.

Switch the completely opened assembly rep over to master rep.  Instant crash.

I do need to work in the drawing eventually but I don't know how to tease out whatever could be causing the issue.  But I need the master rep to open without crashing eventually.  I also need this thing working in 11 since the 10 computer will be upgraded shortly.  And I've contaminated the files up to 11 working out the crash causes, so the ship has sailed just doing it on the dungeon computer and figuring this out later.  And I need to talk to the other engineers about the complexity of the board files they're importing.

So what is the technical difference between an assembly master rep and Default Rep (Master)?  This is infuriating and fascinating.

4 REPLIES 4
MartinHanak
24-Ruby III
(To:_DF_)

Hi,

install Creo 10 used to create files you work with. From my point of view this is the best solution of your situation.

Creo 11.0.0.0 is first version, therefore I do not recommend to use it for real work. Wait one year and then you can board this "ship".

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't disagree with @MartinHanak about not using an early release of the software. I like to let others find the bugs. Strictly my opinion!

In this case, I have had similar issues with the master rep crashing. I was able to open an on the fly empty rep and then add all the parts back to the rep and save the model and it worked in master rep after that.

I would suggest cleaning up errors in your assembly and parts  to help. On large assemblies, it is quiet possibly compounding error and model issues that are causing issues. 

In my experience, it's rarely the last component listed in the trail file that is the problem, that was just the last written item before the crash or was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hello @_DF_ ,

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

joe_morton
17-Peridot

As I understand it, the Master Rep loads everything, while a default rep may not. 

I would test opening each subassembly and part one at a time, being sure to activate the master rep of each. Hopefully you'll be able to narrow it down to 1 specific file that is causing the entire assembly to crash, then update/remodel as needed to fix it.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags