cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Shell doesn't work? [Newbie]

rgoh
1-Newbie

Shell doesn't work? [Newbie]

Hi guys,

I'm trying to shell this shape, but it keeps saying it fails. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

CREO+Shelling+Problem+2.png

Btw it's the underside that I'm trying to hollow out.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:rgoh)

Shell will fail if the part has rounds that are smaller than the shell thickness you are trying to create. Shell really is not very smart. Move it to a much earlier location in the model tree before rounds, chamfers and holes are added.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Shell will fail if the part has rounds that are smaller than the shell thickness you are trying to create. Shell really is not very smart. Move it to a much earlier location in the model tree before rounds, chamfers and holes are added.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

If I remember there's also some special tools now to handle these areas. Look up in the menu bar and see what the options are.

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Reuben,

As Antonius mentioned this may occur due to rounds that are smaller than the shell thickness. For a confirmation you can reduce the value for shell to 0.2 or some smaller value. This will give an idea whether shell is failing due to self-intersecting surface creation.

rgoh
1-Newbie

Thank you all for your help, I moved the shell process to earlier on in the tree and it works fine now.

Thanks guys!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Don't forget to mark the question as answered for those who follow behind and search on this topic.

Thanks for always reminding members to mark the question as answered, Dale. It goes a long way to helping us verify the knowledege shared here on PTC Community.

Gold star for the day! http://communities.ptc.com/4.5.8/themes/ptc/images/status/icon_gold_16x16.gif

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags