cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Feature Request - Remove quotes from strings in format function result

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Feature Request - Remove quotes from strings in format function result

I know I'm only an Express user, but could somebody at PTC please kindly consider this feature request?

The format function is potentially very useful, but (IMO) is let down by the way it converts strings, ie it includes the quote marks.   Let me present an example:

I wanted to use format to replace a section of a long string.   AsciiCow is what I wanted, FormatCow is what I got. 

format would have been ideal for this job  ... except for the quotes!  On the rare occasion I might want quotes, it's easy enough to put them in the format string.

2021 09 23 A.png

Here's an example of what I'd like from a programmed version of format I wrote many Jupiter's 9th moons ago.

2021 09 23 B.png

Cheers,

Stuart

8 REPLIES 8

I'm sure that, even though you (and I, and many others) are only a lowly Express user that PTC will give your request the same thoughtful consideration and prompt response they give ALL such suggestions.  

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

I'm sure that, even though you (and I, and many others) are only a lowly Express user that PTC will give your request the same thoughtful consideration and prompt response they give ALL such suggestions.  

Oh, I don't know.   There has been some recent movement towards putting Prime on track to become a reasonable replacement for M15.  They must surely have a list of features to implement beyond Mathcad Prime 11?

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:

They must surely have a list of features to implement beyond Mathcad Prime 11?

Of course 😉 .

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

@VladimirN wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote:

They must surely have a list of features to implement beyond Mathcad Prime 11?

Of course 😉 .

That's actually both interesting and nice to know, Vladimir.

Thanks,

Stuart

Do you mean like the "improved" gridlines?

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1632484222476.png

(BTW, if they can draw gridlines on the whole page, and Luc and/or Werner could create them in the graphs, why did they have to scab on another "premium feature" to "improve" the graphing capability?)

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

Do you mean like the "improved" gridlines?

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1632484222476.png

(BTW, if they can draw gridlines on the whole page, and Luc and/or Werner could create them in the graphs, why did they have to scab on another "premium feature" to "improve" the graphing capability?)

I used to think the idea was to get the proles to look on with envy and break open their piggy-banks.  I suspect the real idea, though, is simply to irritate people into raiding their pension pots.   

I wonder if there'd be any mileage in PTC offering some sort of "Toolbox" feature, whereby an Express user could rent (at some very reasonable annual rate) a Premium feature set, such as Programming or Symbolics?   Sort of like Mathworks does with their MATLAB, Simulink, etc products.

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

Presently PTC offers only All (=full Prime license) or Little (=express Prime).

Remembering the price tag for the API SDK for Prime, I think for the features you suggest:

LucMeekes_0-1632494090541.png

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

@LucMeekes wrote:

Presently PTC offers only All (=full Prime license) or Little (=express Prime).

I would probably have phrased it slightly differently: All (=Annual Prime license) or Parts (=Permanent Express Prime).

To be fair, I'd be willing to take out an annual Express licence at the same rate.  🙂

Remembering the price tag for the API SDK for Prime, I think for the features you suggest:

LucMeekes_0-1632494090541.png

I can dream, can't I?

Stuart

Top Tags