cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How can I type symbol for statistical "mean" value?

zroman-2
1-Newbie

How can I type symbol for statistical "mean" value?

Hi All,

Does anybody know how to type "mean" value symbol?

Basically a horizontal line on top of the letter.

Letetr + " = this, but that means an operation (conjugate).

I just want to have the symbol as my variable for statistics.

I'm using MC 15.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:zroman-2)

Use the character with a combining overline. In principle you should be able to enter the combining overline using the numeric keyboard, but Mathcad messes up the font mappings so there's no way to figure out what the correct character number is. The only solution seems to be to copy and paste it from the character map (it's character 0305 in hex). This does not work for all fonts, but Arial Unicode MS seems to work OK.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:zroman-2)

Use the character with a combining overline. In principle you should be able to enter the combining overline using the numeric keyboard, but Mathcad messes up the font mappings so there's no way to figure out what the correct character number is. The only solution seems to be to copy and paste it from the character map (it's character 0305 in hex). This does not work for all fonts, but Arial Unicode MS seems to work OK.

Thank you very much, it worked well.

Can I use this as a variable name?

I can NOT seem to get this to work other than within a text region.

Thanks

Kevin

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:kwadley)

Which version of Mathcad are you using? It works fine as a variable name in Mathcad 15. It would work in Prime if I could figure out how to enter it. Copy and paste does not work in a variable name in Prime (really lame!). Because Mathcad messes up the font mappings I also can't figure out what the correct number is to enter it using the numeric keypad (it should be 0773, but that does not work).

I am assuming you are using Prime.

There is a trick in Prime to get "unusual" variable names:

1) type double quotes - you will get a pair of those

2) Type in or copy the "unusual" character(s) in between the double quotes. You may also use characters like ], * or \

3) Press Del(ete) to delete the quotes and you are left with a valid variable name which you can follow by ":" for assignment or by "=" for evaluation.

Once you have created a variable name using this method you can copy and paste it just as usual and don't have to resort to the "" trick anymore.

Regards, Werner

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Good trick. I've figured out that using Alt 0773 on the numeric keyboard doesn't work because Mathcad (both 15 and Prime) just wraps all the character mappings above 255 back round past zero again. So Alt 0289 gets an exclamation mark, just the same as Alt 0033 does. How very 1990s!

Richard Jackson wrote:

Good trick. I've figured out that using Alt 0773 on the numeric keyboard doesn't work because Mathcad (both 15 and Prime) just wraps all the character mappings above 255 back round past zero again. So Alt 0289 gets an exclamation mark, just the same as Alt 0033 does. How very 1990s!

At least they are using ANSI, not ASCII 🙂

Or aren't they? (Difference should be the range from 0128 to 0255)

Werner-

You are correct in that I am using Prime 3.1

Your trick works beautifully! 

Thank you!

Top Tags