cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

MathCAD 15 - licence in future

dboksha
5-Regular Member

MathCAD 15 - licence in future

Will PTC close licence for MathCAD 15? Or licence will be still available, just support will be available?

4 REPLIES 4

PTC won't support and won't sell real Mathcad 15 anymore.

See here: Official PTC Mathcad 15 and Prime 1–6 End-of-Sale ...

If you own a perpetual license and need to transfer it to a new hardware, you should contact PTC support. I am not sure if they would be willing to send you a license file reflecting the new hardware, though. In my opinion they should do so, but some reports here in the forum suggested that PTC doesn't see "perpetual" so closely literally and interpret it as "until we decide that the software is dead - and thats now".
main problem for PTC seems to be symbolic engine muPad which is working in real Mathcad and also in Prime 1 to 6. This software is owned by MathWorks (the owners of MatLab) and PTC had to pay license fee for including it in Mathcad.

Concerning new license files for users with a perpetual license for Mathcad 15, as far as I remember, there has not been an official clear statement on the matter from PTC - would be appreciated!

DJNewman
17-Peridot
(To:Werner_E)

Our official statement on what perpetual means has been on the FAQ on the website for some time now!

"If you have a perpetual license, the end-of-sale versions of Mathcad that you are entitled to (based on
your support agreement) will continue working indefinitely."

And "Yes, licenses can be transferred for hardware replacement purposes after December 31, 2021."
I'm unaware of any looming deadline where PTC Support will stop honouring that.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

Thanks for your reply.

The FAQ you are referring to just says that you are allowed and able to further use the old software if you have a perpetual license. But it does not say how to acquire a new license in case of a hardware change.
People here in the forum reported, that the usual online way for license moving does not work anymore (the new license won't cover out-of-sale versions) and that PTC support was not of any help. See for example  here. Here I got the impression that PTC would not emit new license files for out-of-sale version even if the user owns a perpetual license.

It sure would helpful to include the information in the FAQ how exactly to move the software and get a new license as the online license managing site seems not to work for this.

dboksha
5-Regular Member
(To:DJNewman)

Thank you! I am working for Siemens Energy and got information that we are changing licence and in the future it will include only MathCAD Prime. But I was using MathCAD 15 for  years. I have so many files, and it is not so easy to migrate them to Prime. 
For me it is sounds radicilious, that out of blue - I would be not able to open my old projects (for example if they had locked areas).

Top Tags