cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Excel component in a program

jkukwa
1-Newbie

Excel component in a program

I have a detailed spreadsheet for calculating pipe pressure drop and pump head requirements.

Would love to be able to include this in a loop or be able to port in/out ranges of variables to generate system curves.

I used to be able to do it in MathCad about 10 years ago.  I don't have my old sheets any longer.

Anyone know of a way to get MathCad to handle a spreadsheet like this?

6 REPLIES 6
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:jkukwa)

John Kukwa wrote:

I have a detailed spreadsheet for calculating pipe pressure drop and pump head requirements.

Would love to be able to include this in a loop or be able to port in/out ranges of variables to generate system curves.

I used to be able to do it in MathCad about 10 years ago.  I don't have my old sheets any longer.

Anyone know of a way to get MathCad to handle a spreadsheet like this?

If you could do it 10 years ago in Mathcad, you can probably still do it with the current versions of Mathcad (either M15 or Prime 3.1).   Could you provide a little more detail about what you want to do (a 'demo' Excel sheet and a bit of pseudo-code would be helpful).

Stuart

Stuart,

Good morning.

Regrettably I do not have MCad 15 - and I won't be able to install it on my PC.

The attached sheet shows what I am doing.  I input "Flow" and get "TDH".

I want to vary flow from say 0-250 and get the corresponding TDH's.

I swear I used to be able to just make the thing a function or "Flow" an array because I have done this in the past.

Thank you for any light you can shed.  If you need a nice pump sizing spreadsheet you are welcome to use the attached.

Thanks.

John

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

John Kukwa wrote:

Stuart,

Good morning.

Regrettably I do not have MCad 15 - and I won't be able to install it on my PC.

The attached sheet shows what I am doing.  I input "Flow" and get "TDH".

I want to vary flow from say 0-250 and get the corresponding TDH's.

I swear I used to be able to just make the thing a function or "Flow" an array because I have done this in the past.

Thank you for any light you can shed.  If you need a nice pump sizing spreadsheet you are welcome to use the attached.

Ah.  Thanks for attaching the worksheet, John, but unfortunately, I don't have Excel on my system and can't, therefore, read the embedded worksheet (It would be nice if PTC allowed their "Excel" component to work with OpenOffice/LibreOffice).   Any chance you could post just the worksheet?  Thanks,

Is it because of corporate IT reasons that you can't install M15 on your PC?  If so, then you might have an argument to get it installed, as M15 is necessary for Prime's MCD/XMCD to MCDX Converter to work.   You should either have got M15 as part of your Prime package or you (or, rather your IT Dept) can download it for free from here Download PTC Mathcad 15.0 Free | PTC.   Without it, you can't load any worksheets made in previous versions of Mathcad.

Stuart

Stuart,

Here is the worksheet.

Yep - having 2 versions would be a push to get done.  I am going to pursue since it limits a lot of the sharing possibilities.

Thanks.

John

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

John Kukwa wrote:

Stuart,

Here is the worksheet.

Thanks, John.

Yep - having 2 versions would be a push to get done.  I am going to pursue since it limits a lot of the sharing possibilities.

In a sense, it's not two versions, as the M15 is *necessary* for Primes mcd/xmcd converter to work.   In addition, there is a large degree of functionality from M15 that is not yet incorporated into Prime and that may be needed to run older sheets or provide the functionality you need; Have a look at Chapter 3 of the Prime Migration Guide (available under References in the Resources Ribbon).

I'm still at the stage where I develop in M15 then covert to Prime, unless there is a specific Prime feature that I want to use (and even then I'll usually have an alternative method of doing it in M15);  Editing is a quicker experience in M15 (and not just because of familiarity) and large worksheets in Prime can be glacially(*) slow to edit and execute.  I expect to continue in this manner until at least Prime 5, given what PTC have published on the way ahead for Prime.

Stuart

(*) I'm probably being unfair to glaciers, especially given Global Warming,   As this particular aspect is supposed to be being addressed in Prime 4, there is some hope for improvement next year.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

John Kukwa wrote:

Stuart,

Here is the worksheet.

Yes, You can read and write Excel workbooks within a loop.

Stuart

Top Tags