cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Chose between Product and Library

Srikanth1
12-Amethyst

Chose between Product and Library

When setting up Windchill for an organization or client, what factors do you typically weigh when choosing between containers (Product and Library)? While I've reviewed the definitions and PTC documentation, I am keen to learn the practical considerations that businesses should factor in regarding their products and end items. It would be great to have some real-life case studies illustrating these considerations.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS22028

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/Product-and-Libraries/m-p/56936#M6852 

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FContextsAbout.html%23 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:Srikanth1)

Hi @Srikanth1 

A library usually is used for standard components used in all products. Usually you buy that standard components based on some ISO catalog etc.

Also drawing format and drawing templates are stored in the library

You can imagine that you store general documentation for standard Creo/Windchill usage as metrology guides 

The library allows to restrict the access that standard users work in product can not change the library objescs

Product context is used for non standard product objects / models / documentation/ change management and  so on. 

You can imagine any purpose to use library or product context. 

For example a MPMLink library can be used for resource data as tools, work-centers etc that are not directly connected to a specific product.. 

PetrH 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jlecoz
13-Aquamarine

From a technical standpoint, I think the only difference is the Enditem table view available on the detail page within a product and not within a library.

From a process standpoint, you usually put in a library the elements that are reused across products to define them.

For example, it can be bought components, internal standard components, and common documents.

You may have specific business rules to manage these objects and you may set these rules at container level. For example, for library components, you may have a specific process to validate them.

From a user experience point of view, it helps the navigation among the containers, you can quickly access them rather than searching within a big product container list.

jbailey
17-Peridot

I always draw the line at Change/Configuration Management. If you need change management, you should be doing it in a product. You cant do version control in a project... So no "real" release, Change Requests or Change notices either.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Hi @jbailey 

the question is about Library no Project.

PetrH

I know.  It was a subtle hint that data specific to things being made or developed should be in a Project or Product 🙂

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @jbailey 

Also I have an another point.

Project contexts do not support MPMLink objects.¨

(Process plans, Operations etc.)

PetrH

Yeah, I would think that when you get to making MPMLink objects, you should already be in a product context. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

This is an another story why 😄 

A Project Management perspective is that a Project plan covers all work tasks from design to manufacturing. 

PetrH

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Srikanth1 

A library usually is used for standard components used in all products. Usually you buy that standard components based on some ISO catalog etc.

Also drawing format and drawing templates are stored in the library

You can imagine that you store general documentation for standard Creo/Windchill usage as metrology guides 

The library allows to restrict the access that standard users work in product can not change the library objescs

Product context is used for non standard product objects / models / documentation/ change management and  so on. 

You can imagine any purpose to use library or product context. 

For example a MPMLink library can be used for resource data as tools, work-centers etc that are not directly connected to a specific product.. 

PetrH 

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. 

Upon highlighting the PTC definitions, recommendations, technical differences (No end items table, process plans,.. on library), we have recommended housing all engineering data within Product containers, while reserving libraries for generic reference documents unrelated to specific parts or assemblies.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You may want to reconsider that as the final answer. Using a Library for standard parts has some advantages.

We do our standard parts (nuts, washers, screws, bolts, etc.) in family tables and put them in the Library.Windchill can be set so Library items loaded into an assembly cannot be checked-out and modified by any user who is not a Librarian. This way your standard library parts are protected.

There are also reasons to store things like your drawing formats in a Windchill Library to prevent them from being changed by all of your users. The templates for start parts and drawings may also be stored in the Library, but we use a network shared disk for those files.

Announcements

Top Tags