cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to check in drawings to windchill ?

AThomas104
4-Participant

How to check in drawings to windchill ?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to windchill. I'd like some help with understanding how to check in drawings from my windchill

workspace to windchill. These drawings use a format available in the local disk. So each time I try to check in these drawings, windchill returns an error message saying "xxx.frm" (the format file of the drawing) is not unique. Can anyone tell me what a workaround is ?

question windchill 2.jpg

question windchill.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adding on to @HelesicPetr , what's happening is you are creating a new drawing in a workspace but your config.pro is pointing to a local folder for the default formats. Creo will retrieve this file from that local disk and it will appear new in the workspace. But that same format filename exists in PDMLink which causes the conflict. I would recommend keeping official copy of formats in Windchill. You will have issues with folks working in and out of the system but you can export formats to that same local folder so they retain the Windchill parameters in that file. I think that helps. 

What we did to solve this problem is commit to Windchill where the config.sup points to Windchill exclusively. 

pro_format_dir wtpub://PDMLink/Libraries/Engineering CAD Resources/Formats

This path points to the library where our formats exist. The key to this is all users must use the same "name" for Windchill in their Server Manager. This can be accomplished by scripting the initialization of server connections for the user.  We've had no issues like this since.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello @AThomas104 ,

There are two possibilities.

1. In the workspace update  the format to the existing windchill format

2. Use the format from windchill in the drawing

HelesicPetr_1-1679646449833.png

HelesicPetr_2-1679646461933.png

PetrH

Adding on to @HelesicPetr , what's happening is you are creating a new drawing in a workspace but your config.pro is pointing to a local folder for the default formats. Creo will retrieve this file from that local disk and it will appear new in the workspace. But that same format filename exists in PDMLink which causes the conflict. I would recommend keeping official copy of formats in Windchill. You will have issues with folks working in and out of the system but you can export formats to that same local folder so they retain the Windchill parameters in that file. I think that helps. 

What we did to solve this problem is commit to Windchill where the config.sup points to Windchill exclusively. 

pro_format_dir wtpub://PDMLink/Libraries/Engineering CAD Resources/Formats

This path points to the library where our formats exist. The key to this is all users must use the same "name" for Windchill in their Server Manager. This can be accomplished by scripting the initialization of server connections for the user.  We've had no issues like this since.

So I tried uploading the local drawing format to windchill, like you suggested @HelesicPetr but it still returns an error saying its not unique. I'm sure what @avillanueva said has something to do with it too. But both of your suggestions have helped me point to the direction I am wanting to go. I'd like to know how to keep the official copy of formats in windchill. Maybe that's the first step.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:AThomas104)

Do you have system admin rights to Windchill?

Not that it matters for this issue, but what version of Windchill and Creo are you using? This can sometimes help if someone knows of an issue with a certain release.

Create a folder in your system configuration library of Windchill named formats. Put the format in that folder.

BenLoosli_0-1679680358304.png

Top Tags