Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in selecting parts

Re: Problem in selecting parts

What a silly thing to have turned off.

We have been struggling with this for weeks and it seems to have fixed it for us as well!

Thank you. 🙂

Highlighted

I helped a guy here with a brand new laptop (I think HP workstation). It was simply a windows scaling issue. It was not a 4k monitor/video card.
RMB on the desktop, display settings, change the "scale" to 100. The user went from extraordinarily frustrated to productive.
If you haven't tried, you really should.

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)

Same problem here. I'm running Creo 4.0 M060 and I'd say that about 20% of my clicks are missed. I also ran into this issue on Creo 3.0 M120, but it seems much more prevalent in the newer version. My system is about as basic as it gets: single monitor, 1920x1080 resolution, GeForce GTX 960 video card, and a generic mouse.

I tried to duplicate the problem and it seems to go away if I am very "deliberate" about selecting items, allowing my cursor to come to a complete and full stop prior to clicking. It almost seems like Creo has a built-in delay between when the button is clicked and when it registers the click. I tend to work quickly and I think my cursor is already off of the object by the time Creo logs the click. For those of you who said the issue went away when using a laptop touchpad, I wonder if it's simply because you have to slow down by nature of the input device, since it's not as fast as a mouse. We already know that Creo messes with the timing of clicks--a "quick" right-click will cycle between parts, whereas a "long" right-click will bring up the context menu. This is different than just about every other application, where a right-click of ANY duration will activate the context menu instantly upon button release.

As for the DPI scaling fixes that were posted, I think that's a separate issue entirely. High DPI support is a mess on Windows (see here) and porting over applications from the legacy GDI scaling system is extremely labor-intensive. I've seen situations where certain programs can't interpolate the higher pixel density, resulting in unresponsive interfaces. But, I don't think that's the root of the problem here--I believe it's with the way Creo times the registration of mouse clicks. Even a few milliseconds would make a huge difference if you're quickly moving the cursor across the screen and want to select something along the way.

I've opened a ticket with PTC to ask them about this, but I'm sure I'll get the usual "works to product specifications" non-answer when they don't feel like fixing a bug or improving the interface. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else could comment on my speculation above.

Thanks for the tip. I'm already running at 100% scaling, though.

You can try enabling DPI setting on parametric.exe loacted under parametric\bin folder.Attached screenshot.Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Srinivas

Having the same problem here, where it seems that Creo is forcing me to pause before clicking in order to select something on screen.

I was not able to fix this with any screen resolution changes.

However I did find something else that I didn't see mentioned in this thread that seems to have improved my situation:

Under "Additional mouse options" in windows 10 mouse settings, under the "Pointer Options" tab, I had a toggle box selected called "Enhance pointer precision".  Once I unchecked this box, my click success rate improved dramatically.  I think it is still not as perfect as I would like but it is definitely much improved.

Hi, 

The problem is because, pointer precision is turned in mouse options.

If that is turned off , selection is good.

But, pointer precision is very useful on all other places, with that turned off , selection of icons and other stuff becomes harder , because pin pointing with our hands is hard .

I think, PTC developers have to do something about it. ( which i believe will not happen ).

Thanks.

I had same issue.

I fixed in this way

Right click - Display Settings - Advance scaling settings 

Turn off "Let Windows try to fix Apps so they're not blurry"

Change scaling to a custom (try first with 100%)